Time & Sales: 95% of lFlags = 0?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time & Sales: 95% of lFlags = 0?

Using Excel 2007/VBA and the API to bring in T&S on stocks, but at least 95% of the lFlags are set to 0 (Undertermined). Opening and using the T&S window in eSig gives the same result.

This is my filter:

tsFilter.sSymbol = "AA"
    tsFilter.bQuotes = False
    tsFilter.bTrades = True
    tsFilter.lNumDays = 1
    tsFilter.bFilterPrice = False
    tsFilter.bFilterVolume = True
    tsFilter.lVolume = 10000
    tsFilter.bFilterQuoteExchanges = False
    tsFilter.bFilterTradeExchanges = False

It doesn't just happen with AA, either.

What needs to be done to correct this? Does this have something to do with the conflation bit I have read about?

George

Conflation only applies to quotes only and since you are only requesting trades data, it's irrelevant.

The lFlags field from the Time&Sales structures should not be zero. We are unable to reproduce the issue below. Can you attach a code snippet showing how you are processing this field?

Comment

I now know where all those lFlags=0 were coming from.

Apparently, once after-hours trading stops, that current day's session suddenly becomes the previous day's session, and almost all of the lFlags information is 0'd out at that time. Since I was playing around with the API and T&S late in the evening, I was getting lFlags = 0. During market hours today, I did't have that problem, but did see it again this evening.

Okay, one mystery solved.

However, during market hours I do see quite a few lFlag values like: 16, 272, 514, 520, 1025, 1032. The majority of the time those numbers show up during pre-market and after-hours trading. The documentation I have on lFlags doesn't have any info pertaining to those values. Do you have a complete list of lFlag values you could post, or could you tell me what the above values indicate?

Thanks,
      George

Comment

The lFlags values are described at the end of chapter 4 of the Desktop API documentation. The value can be a combination of the following:

tsfTRADEASK 0x00000001
        tsfTRADEBID 0x00000002
        tsfTRADEABOVEASK 0x00000004
        tsfTRADEBELOWBID 0x00000008
        tsfTRADEINSIDE 0x00000010
        tsfQUOTEBID 0x00000020
        tsfQUOTEASK 0x00000040
        tsfFOMUPTICK 0x00000100
        tsfFORMDOWNTICK 0x00000200
        tsfFORMT 0x00000400

Comment

Okay, I think I have it.

One of the lFlag values I was seeing in my watch list as I stepped through the code was 1032.

The hex representation for decimal 1032 is: 0x00000408

That corresponds to the following two lFlag values:

tsfTRADEBELOWBID 0x00000008
          tsfFORMT 0x00000400

I understand what all the lFlag values mean except for tsfFORMT. What does that mean?

Thanks,
          George

Comment

FORMT refers to pre/post market hours.

Comment

Okay, I'm good to go.

Appreciate your help.

George

Comment

Working...
              X