Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why having two handle on the same symbol is possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why having two handle on the same symbol is possible?

Why do we have a cumbersome system of handles for time and sales and bar data.

Nobody will ever want to receive twice the same symbol. Give me a situation where somebody would want to subscribe twice to the same symbol knowing how quick the active x gets clogged.

This design of handles is not adapted to our problem.

This said I have nothing against an integer to identify the incoming flow but I think two modifications make sense:

- Exception thrown when the user ask for a new handle on an already subscribed symbol.

- possibility of specifying ourself the handles, would be nice to associate a position in the array and a symbol.

I understand it's a big change... at least could you provide us with a function that return a list of the handles opened and the symbol associated.

I already see a response coming back, such as if you code well you will never have two handle on the same symbol...

Thanks,
    Nick.

Re: Why having two handle on the same symbol is possible?

Originally posted by nedibe
    Nobody will ever want to receive twice the same symbol.
    In my experience as a programmer, as soon as you code in things that nobody will ever want, you realize you want it after all and have to spend twice as long to work in the mechanism you should have put in in the first place.

And, I do request the same symbol multiple times in my current app. I request daily and minute bars of the same symbol for everything I chart. I could indeed request daily bars, wait, then request minute bars and proceed to update the daily chart from the minute bar data, but that is definitely something I don't want to be forced to do. The current system works just fine IMHO.

- possibility of specifying ourself the handles, would be nice to associate a position in the array and a symbol.
    I had thought about this as well and wouldn't mind seeing it, but now that the event-before-handle bug has been fixed and I have already coded for the current system, this isn't a biggy for me.

Cheers... George

Comment

Hi Genspoo,

Of course this unique handle is per request type, it was never in my intention to ask for the removal of functionalities.

Are you doing two time and sales request for the same symbol or two bar data request for the same symbol? if you do then can you tell me why?

Take Care,
      Nick.

Comment

Hi Nick,

I do one time and sales request and two or more bar requests per symbol I watch (i.e. chart).

Cheers... George

Comment

In this case I guess there is a utility. I don't see why you would like two bar data but I believe you.

I don't like your response but I think you are doing a lot for this forum.

Thanks,
          Nick.

Comment

Hi Nick,

I'm not sure I see what the mystery of wanting to see daily and intraday charts of the same symbol on the same screen at the same time is? Lots of people trade off of multiple time frame chart setups.

I don't like your response but I think you are doing a lot for this forum.
            I hope I didn't offend you, if so I apologize. I am just trying explain how I use the API in my application.

Cheers... George

Comment

Working...
            X