Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7.6 won't run with API

Hi,
    I was developing in 7.4 and 7.5 just fine, a new hard drive and a weekend reinstalling my life just ended and as 7.6 R3 was out I decided to install that rather than 7.5.
    My app just sits there doing nothing, not only that, the vbsample program seems to be totally unable to talk to 7.6 as well... not even a simple swap of the current symbol is working - no errors showing anywhere.
    I've tried installing/reinstalling, no apparent effect - reinstalled 7.5 and it's all running just fine again.
    Are there any known issues that might have caused this, or do I just have to keep deinstalling/reinstalling every now and then until I get lucky?
    System is AMD XP2400+, Win XP Pro, 1Gb RAM, 120 Gb HDD
    Cheers,
    Dave

eSignal 7.5 actually had an error where entitlement where not checked for certain function calls. Make sure that you check for and receive entitlements.

Use this simple loop to wait until your are entitled before your application continues.

' This should be set to the user name of the user
    esignal.SetApplication("YOUR USERNAME")

'CODE TO CHECK FOR ENTITLEMENT
    Do While (esignal.IsEntitled) = False
    Thread.Sleep(1000)
    Loop

' entitlement refers to whether a particular user is allowed to access eSignal via ActiveX
    If (esignal.IsEntitled()) Then
    'Your good to go
    End If

Comment

Ah!
      Right, I'll give that a try - thanks for the help, as your VBSample didn't work I thought I was up the creek....
      Dave

Comment

No go I'm afraid,
        in 7.5 'isentitled' returns True, in 7.6 it continually returns False. I'm putting my username in, and I've tried all sorts of combinations to see if it's supposed to be with/without brackets, quotes etc
        (Example, if my username were bill then I've tried (bill), "bill", ("bill"), all uppercase, all lower, "Bill", I even tried pasting my username into the string in the code example and tried ("***** bill ******") in desperation.
        If 7.4/7.5 returned isentitled=True regradless of actual entitlement, then I'd be wondering if my API entitlement wasn't enabled?
        Dave

Comment

There were new functions added to the control in 7.6, so assuming your entitlement is indeed activated, you might want to try completely rebuilding the project (possibly removing references to the ActiveX control and re-adding them to regenerate whatever wrappers, etc. are used). Just something to try.

Cheers... George

Comment

Okay,
            thanks for the suggestion, but I'm trying to debug etc and am running in VB6 from the code window, this was a complete transfer to a new HDD so it's all new anyway.
            I've just reverted to 7.5 again after another failed attempt to get isentitled to return a non-false answer.
            Dave

Comment

For info, this has now been resolved with eSignal's assistance

Comment

I have the exact same problem.
                I've upgraded to 7.6 and suddenly, 'isentitled' return false.
                I've payed my fees and subscribed to the service, so it should work.

It did so in 7.5.

How did you solve the problem?

Oh... My DataManager icon have changed appearance in 7.6.. Please see attached icon. Is this normal?
                Attached Files

Comment

The icon did change in appearance in 7.6. It is normal.

I checked your account and things should work as expected, as you are properly entitled. Make sure that you wait for the response to the "IsEntitled" method:

' This should be set to the user name of the user
                  esignal.SetApplication((YOUR USERNAME))

'CODE TO CHECK FOR ENTITLEMENT
                  Do While (esignal.IsEntitled) = False
                  Thread.Sleep(1000)
                  Loop

' entitlement refers to whether a particular user is allowed
                  If (esignal.IsEntitled()) Then
                  DO YOUR CODE
                  End if

Comment

Sounds like you've been taken care of already -
                    my problem was a small error in my account setup, soon sorted by the nice chaps at Activex support email.
                    Dave

Comment

Thanks Robi and Dave.

I have another question...

First, in order to get an instance of the eSignal object, I do "esignal = new IESignal.HooksClass();"

When I call this object, I get the following error:
                      "The server process could not be started because the configured identity is incorrect. Check the username and password."

The application (eSignal) is up and running with correct username and password (the icon is green).

This object (esignal) will then be used with the SetApplication property, which also will have a problem because the object is not properly instanciated.

Strange... I did not have this problem in 7.5... I must miss something. Could someone please comment on this?

/MrHertz

Comment

I have not seen this error. You were able to create the object before, but not now?

Try re-referencing the API, if you've upgraded to 7.6.

Comment

Hi Robi.

I re-referenced the API and now it works.

Thanks.

/MrHertz

Comment

Working...
                          X