Price Entry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Price Entry

I apologize for my lack of knowledge in this field but how does esignal backtesting figure out where to purchase or sell based on our script.

For example say you were using a breakout system, how would i program it to purchase at the top of the previous candle it just broke?

Or does the program just purchase at the bottom of the candle that broke the formation....

I need to know the accuracy of the prices/profits or atleast how to adjust the entry...

Thanks a lot!!!

Some help...

I apologize for my lack of knowledge in this field but how does esignal backtesting figure out where to purchase or sell based on our script.

-- No problem - we all start out with EFS at one point or another.

For example say you were using a breakout system, how would i program it to purchase at the top of the previous candle it just broke?

-- You would use a LIMIT order for THISBAR and pass a price to it. LIke this...

Strategy.doLong("3RE Buy Signal",Strategy.LIMIT, Strategy.THISBAR, Strategy.DEFAULT, high(-1));

"high(-1)" is the high price of the previous candle. You can place any price level you want into this code and it will try to fill the order at that level.

Or does the program just purchase at the bottom of the candle that broke the formation....

-- Nope, there are different types of "Strategy" parameters that allow us to control every aspect of the backtest system. More information can be found in my "Matheny Enterprises" fileshare group.

I need to know the accuracy of the prices/profits or atleast how to adjust the entry...

-- Use your best ability to build your system around the entries you expect the system to trigger. Then use the SLIPPAGE value to adjust the results of the system (+/-). In backtesting, we can only "assume" the most logical entry/exit price. We just have to make our best attempt to get the system to be "close", then we adjust with the other variables.

You're welcome.

B
    Brad Matheny
    eSignal Solution Provider since 2000

Comment

Working...
    X