open of new day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• open of new day

i want to experiment with efs and i want my first condition to be to do something on the first bar of the day.so i want to compare the first bar at 8:30 central to the closing bar at 3:15 and if the open is lower that the close then i want to buy at the open. im very new to efs and i want to learn a little at a time. someone give me a hint at how i would do that.

patr82
    Enclosed is very basic example of a buy on open strategy that also sets stops and targets (comments are in the script) and can be used for back testing. Run it on an intraday chart set to regular trading hours.
    If you are interested in learning about efs then I would suggest going through the various guides that are available in the EFS KnowledgeBase
    Alex

PHP Code:
    function preMain(){

setPriceStudy(true);

setStudyTitle("Buy on Open");

setCursorLabelName("Target",0);

setCursorLabelName("Stop",1);

setDefaultBarFgColor(Color.blue,0);

setDefaultBarFgColor(Color.red,1)

setPlotType(PLOTTYPE_FLATLINES,0);

setPlotType(PLOTTYPE_FLATLINES,1);

setColorPriceBars(true);

setDefaultPriceBarColor(Color.black);
    }

var 
    vTarget null;
    var 
    vStop null;

function 
    main(){

if(
    getDay(0) != getDay(-1)){ //if a new day

if(open() < close(-1) && !Strategy.isLong()){ //if open less than prior close and not long

Strategy.doLong("Long",Strategy.MARKET,Strategy.THISBAR); //go long on the open

vTarget open()+4//set target

vStop   open()-3//set stop

}
        }

if(
    Strategy.isLong() && high()> vTarget){ //if target reached

Strategy.doSell("Sell",Strategy.LIMIT,Strategy.THISBAR,null,vTarget); //sell at the target price

setPriceBarColor(Color.lime); //color the bar in lime

}

if(
    Strategy.isLong() && low()< vStop){ //if stop reached

Strategy.doSell("Sell",Strategy.STOP,Strategy.THISBAR,null,vStop); //sell at stop price

setPriceBarColor(Color.red); //color the bar in red

}

if(
    Strategy.isLong()){ //when long

setPriceBarColor(Color.blue); //color the bar in blue

var targetLine vTarget//assign the target price to this variable

var stopLine vStop//assign the stop price to this variable

return new Array (
    targetLine,stopLine); //plot target and stop lines

Comment

thanks

alex, thank you very much. i have been looking alot at the knowledge base and will continue. right now im trying to locate in the knowledge base where it tells me how to apply this formula that i have put into the efs editor onto my chart. thanks again. you have been a constant help.

just a simple question. do you like esignal better than tradestation.

Comment

patr82

how to apply this formula that i have put into the efs editor onto my chart.

Save the efs in the Formulas folder or any of its subfolders. Then right click the chart select Formulas or the subfolder in which you saved the efs and click the efs. That will apply it to the chart.

just a simple question. do you like esignal better than tradestation

Most definitely yes and without any hesitation
        Alex

Comment

code

alex, thank you so very much for your help. it works on my chart. and i can take that code and look at it and learn and change things. im not a very good learning by just reading. so is there a good class i could take like c++ or java that would work well so i could learn how to convert all my tradestation code to efs.again youve been a tremendous help.

Comment

patr82
            I don't have any information on classes but I know JasonK suggests having JavaScript The Definitive Guide by David Flanagan 4th edition published by O'Reilly
            Alex

Comment

Mistake at Stop

Hi Alexis,

I tryed the formula with long and short direction (go long, if open is higher than privious day close, go short is open lower than ..., and changed the stop to:

old:
              if(Strategy.isShort() && high()> vStop)

changed:
              if(Strategy.isShort() && high()>= vStop)

I hoped, that the stop is filled market in the backtest, if the stop is touched.

Example: the stop is 119.79 - if this value reached, stop an close the position

in the pic you can see, that the stop is working, if a part of the bar is higher than the stop (at 10:25).

How I have to change the *.efs, that the stop ist working market in my backtest at 9:10, than the high of the bar is touching first time the stop-limit?

In the pic the position is short.

Thanks, Torso
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Torso; 02-07-2005, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Torso
                  The conditions are set correctly as far as I can see. The reason the strategy is not covering the short at 9:10 is because you are adding a 0.01 for vAbweichung in the commands to cover. Remove that value and you will see that the strategy will cover if the stop is touched.
                  Alex

Comment

it works

Alexis, thanks.

Now it works great.

Torso

Comment

TIME

im trying to write in a script in my open program that will exit me at a certain time and this is what i wrote AND inserted into my program and im getting some error. this java is so much more difficult for me still.

if(Strategy.isLong() && time()< 1200){ //if time reached
                      Strategy.doSell("Sell",Strategy.MARKET,Strategy.TH ISBAR,null,vStop); //sell at stop price
                      setPriceBarColor(Color.red); //color the bar in red

Comment

patr82
                        Replace time() with (getHour()*100)+getMinute()
                        Also Strategy.MARKET indicates the Open of a bar. To define a specific price you need to use either Strategy.LIMIT or Strategy.STOP and then verify that the bar has actually breached that level.
                        I would suggest that you go through the various guides in the EFS KnowledgeBase
                        Alex

Comment

Hi Patr,

try this:

if((getHour() == 15 && getMinute() == 30) && Strategy.isInTrade()) { //if is in trade at 15:30

if(Strategy.isLong()) { //if it is long

Strategy.doSell("Sell",Strategy.CLOSE,Strategy.THI SBAR);//close
                          }
                          if(Strategy.isShort()) { //if short

Strategy.doCover("Buy",Strategy.CLOSE,Strategy.THI SBAR);
                          } //close

}

Torso
                          Last edited by Torso; 02-08-2005, 03:01 PM.

Comment

time exit

thanks torso, i got it to work. little by little im learning efs.

Comment

Working...
                            X