Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ~ backtesting xml parser object error ~

Hi
    Can someone please tell me why, when I try to backtest, do I get the following error message, Strategy Ananyzer - unable to create xml parser object.

I have deleted winsig and winros, reinstalled 7.8, reinstalled MS xml Parser, reinstalled Sun Java, rebooted a million times and still no strategy analyzer. I have carried out all the suggested items listed on the board too, vm etc etc, all to no avail.

I can however try to backtest before I apply a tick replay to a chart, but it simply looks for bars which are not there, due to there being no data loaded yet!
    As soon as I load the tick replay file, then try to backtest, say after a few bars worth, it comes up with the same error.
    After the first error message I get another saying unable to open the file it just created.

It does however create the xml file in the appropriate place (base dir) and I can then open it in a browser and view the tree structure. (I can create my own xml files and view them correctly from other editors).

I am using win2k pro, have over 1 gig of space, p4 2 gig processor, 256 ram, with IE 6.0.2800.1106, new xml parser install, new sun java install.

There is nothing wrong with the efs as it can be backtested on other machines.

As I cannot open the app and find out for myself, can you please let me know which object(s) the analyzer is looking for and where it/they should reside on my system, so that I can put the right files where they are being looked for.

I would greatly appreciate any help from anyone !
    Cheers

Hi webthatch,

Using Tick Playback is not the proper way to backtest using the strategy analyzer, thus, I believe the reason for the error.

You need to load up historical bars and backtest in that manner.

If you wish to backktest using Tick Playback, you will have to write some custom backtest code.

Comment

~ backtesting xml parser object error ~

I'll try here as well!
      I have posted a request for help on the main forum and reckon I may get some more help if I dupe it here too.

I am getting an error when I try to run the strategy analyser to backtest an efs on a tick replay file, unable to create xml parser object.

Anyone out there who has an efs which works with $Playback who is wiling to share it with me would be a great friend indeed.
      If you have, can you please let me know the symbol settings, indeed all settings required, in order for me to be able to backtest an efs offline with a tick replay of 10 days worth of 6E.

I would be eternally greatful for any help re this.

Cheers

Steve has been a diamond with this !!!
      Last edited by webthatch; 02-14-2005, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Hi webthatch,

Try this efs for a good example of backtesting as we discussed. I hope this is of some help.

edit by the way, I stand corrected, I was able to backtest with files played back with Tick Replay.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by ; 02-14-2005, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Hello webthatch,

You should be able to perform a back test on $PLAYBACK. Are you loading all the tick replay data into the chart to completion and then reloading your formula before running the Strategy Analyzer? Are you using the $PLAYBACK symbol in the Strategy Analyzer? Have you performed any back tests with this formula or any other on a regular symbol other than $PLAYBACK? Just trying to figure out if the problem is related to your specific formula or if the Strategy Analyzer always gives you this error.

If you post your formula as an attachment, I'll test it on my end and see if I can reproduce the problem you are having.
          Jason K.
          Project Manager
          eSignal - an Interactive Data company

EFS KnowledgeBase
          JavaScript for EFS Video Series
          EFS Beginner Tutorial Series
          EFS Glossary
          Custom EFS Development Policy

New User Orientation

Comment

re xml parser error

Hi Jason
            Thanks for the reply.
            You should be able to perform a back test on $PLAYBACK. (DONE) Are you loading all the tick replay data into the chart to completion and then reloading your formula before running the Strategy Analyzer?(YES) Are you using the $PLAYBACK symbol in the Strategy Analyzer?(YES) Have you performed any back tests with this formula or any other on a regular symbol other than $PLAYBACK?(NO< CANT GET THEM TO WORK EITHER) Just trying to figure out if the problem is related to your specific formula or if the Strategy Analyzer always gives you this error.(LOOKS LIKE THE ANALYZER TO ME)

Yes I have loaded all the tick replay, 10 days worth into the chart before loading/reloading my efs. I then try to backtest using the settings for the chart i.e. 15 min, $Playback, 24 hour, etc etc and it will just return the error.
            There seems to be no reason at all with this.

Like I have said to Steve, if I had an efs which works, with the settings required for the backtest boxes, I could do a test to establish what is going on.
            He has sent me a file to test which I am currently doing.

However, my efs runs and strat tests on another pc just fine, and I can analyze the results, as per whats written on the tin.

OK, it has just failed again with the same old error.

I am supposedly doing everything just the way it is suposed to be done.

Please help Jason

Comment

re xml parser

Hi does anyone have the path to this so that I can ensure that it is pointing to where it is supposed to be looking.

Every time I try to backtest I get the error, unable to create xml parser object. The xml is created but useless for backtesting purposes, using the strat analyzer.

Esignal is looking in a location to parse the data (to create the html), and there isn't the means to do it where its looking!

Any help would be greatly received. Cheers

Comment

re xml parser

Hi All !

FIXED AT LAST

For anyone else having this sort of issue heres the resolution which has worked for my instance.

The xml version currently installed.

I had versions 3 and 4 running side by side (totally permissable) but everything was looking at 4 to run apps.

Using the xml version checker http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...xmlversion.exe
                and then
                installing service pack for version 3 http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
                has resolved it.

Maybe esignal directs the app to ver3 and does not allow for the use of 4.

Anyway I can backtest now, after 5 days of searching and rebooting its all over !!

Cheers Steve for all your help!

Comment

Working...
                X