Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I back test the systems in the Bollinger Band Toolkit ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I back test the systems in the Bollinger Band Toolkit ?

I am brand new to eSignal so perhaps I am doing something wrong , but I cannot figure out how to back test pieces of the BBTK . When I enter "methods" from it into the Backtester it trades 0 times . If "methods" cannot be directly tested , how do I turn them into strategies ? On a related note , I did a search on the BBTK on this Bulletin Board and found reference to a possible posting of more info on it's use . Was that ever posted anywhere ? I have read Bollinger's book , but it does not detail the specifics of software utilization of the techniques .

Hello obradt,

A formula must be specifically coded for the Strategy Analyzer using the Strategy Object. The BBTK formulas most likely are not coded for back testing if you are not seeing any results in the Strategy Analyzer. However, using the efs() function in EFS2 (available in eSignal version 7.9) you could create your own custom back testing formulas that utilize the return values from those studies. Using BBTK Method I, for example, the return values are 1, 0 or -1. After creating the return series from the formula using the efs() function you could check the value of that series and then call the respective Strategy commands based on your desired logic. To begin learning how to code EFS formulas and back testing formulas I recommend starting with the help guides in the EFS KnowledgeBase (see link at bottom of this post).
    Jason K.
    Project Manager
    eSignal - an Interactive Data company

EFS KnowledgeBase
    JavaScript for EFS Video Series
    EFS Beginner Tutorial Series
    EFS Glossary
    Custom EFS Development Policy

New User Orientation

Comment

Working...
    X