Back Testing Settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back Testing Settings

How can I make that 1 contract is 100.000 Euro with back testing??

Hello Alen,

Review the solution Alex provided in this thread and see if that helps.
    Jason K.
    Project Manager
    eSignal - an Interactive Data company

EFS KnowledgeBase
    JavaScript for EFS Video Series
    EFS Beginner Tutorial Series
    EFS Glossary
    Custom EFS Development Policy

New User Orientation

Comment

Hello JasonK,

thx, but it doesn't help me a lot,

i don't understand what a contract is, while back testing? according to that link it wold mean 1 contract = 1 us$ or am I wrong??

when I enter a default size 100.000 contracts, and there is a 100 pips stop loss, I got -100.000 US$ and it should be -1.000 US$, so i take default lot size 1.000 but that wold mean that 1 contract = 100 us$, is that right??

may be there is a faq or something like that which explains what esignal do while back testing with the contracts??

alen
      Last edited by Alen; 06-08-2005, 03:36 AM.

Comment

alen
        By default the Back Tester assumes that 1 point is equal to 1 US dollar however with futures contracts that may not be the case. So in the Default Lot Size you insert the value of 1 point for that future contract.
        For example with the e-mini S&P 1 point (ie the change from 1100.00 to 1101.00) is 50 dollars so you use that value as the Default Lot Size. If you trade more than one contract then you multiple that value by the number of contracts traded and insert the result as the Default Lot Size. For 3 contracts you would insert 150 (ie 50x3)
        Hope this helps
        Alex

Comment

Originally posted by Alexis C. Montenegro

For example with the e-mini S&P 1 point (ie the change from 1100.00 to 1101.00) is 50 dollars so you use that value as the Default Lot Size.
          what do you mean with "e-mini S&P 1 point"??

For example there is a curse change from 130.00 to 131.00 this is a win of 100 pips, if I am long. That would mean, when i got with 100.000 € in that deal that i got a win of 1.000 €, am i wright?
          so i tested a bit with the Default Lot Size and i only got that win of 1000 € if i buy 1000 contracts and that would mean that 1 contract is 100 €?

Can you please help me with the following, if i back test EUR/JPY there always stand a curs price in US$, is that normal? because i think there should stand JPY, if you want i can post a screen shot, and maybe it helps you understand what i exactly mean.
          thank you,
          alen

Comment

alen
            What I mean is that every 1 point change of 1 e-mini S&P futures contract is equal to 50 US$. So if I go long 1 contract at 1100.00 and sell it at 1101.00 I gain 50 US$.
            I don't trade Forex so you may want to ask your broker what the point value is for each Forex contract and use that as the Default Lot Size. Alternatively use 1 as the Default Lot Size and then apply the necessary math to the results returned by the back test.
            Alex

Comment

Alan

You should use 100 000 as the default lot size.
              This will give you $10 per pip movement on the USD/EUR.
              For other currencies check on the trade platform for the pip value.
              In the backtesting Strategy Analyser SETUP set the cost per trade to 30. Set the percentage returns to 0.

This should give you the correct answer in backtesting.

Hope it helps

Regards

Kobus

Comment

FX989231,

thank you for your reply, can you please tell me where can i find this trade platform for the pip value?

is it possible in eSignal to beck test only for example from feb 2000 to jun 2000? and how?

thx,
                alen

Comment

alen

is it possible in eSignal to beck test only for example from feb 2000 to jun 2000? and how?

The back tester runs through all the data that is in the chart. However in an efs you can define the period to be back tested. For an example of one way of doing this see the trade permission.efs attached to this post
                  Alex

Comment

hi,

i have a new question,

when i back test 60 min why does esignal only test the last 60 days and not the 120 days??

thank you,

alen

Comment

alen
                      Make sure that you have 120 days of data loaded in the chart. You do that through the Time Template
                      Alex

Comment

Alexis C. Montenegro

i've done this already but it doesn't change anything! can i try something else??

thank you,
                        alen

Comment

alen
                          What symbol and efs are you using for the back test?
                          Alex

Comment

Alexis C. Montenegro

I use the MACD + Parabolic SAR study on eSignal 7.8

thank you,
                            Alen

Comment

Alen
                              Without knowing what symbol and efs you are using it is impossible to try and replicate the issue you are reporting.
                              As far as I can see here using I can run back tests across 120 days using for example the BTMovingAverage.efs which is in the BackTesting subfolder of Formulas.
                              Alex

Comment

Working...
                              X