creating a backtesting efs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• creating a backtesting efs

I've been digging around eSignal Central looking for efs examples for strategy backtesting and while I found all kinds of other neat stuff to dissect i'm surprised I didn't find a medley of strategy testing formulas!

I set out to write my own, but after thinking about it for a while I realized it's a little over my head for my programming experience level. So of course the first thing I do is run here. =)

I sat down to write an efs that simply (ha!) entered a position based on some criteria (for the purposes of this example, lets say it's a moving average crossover) and then evaluate the price and make decisions based on where the price goes. For instance, if I were long and price went my way, I might want to move my stop up to trail the price once price hits a certain point. As price continues to go my way I could change the stop arbitrarily, or exit if I hit a profit target. If price didn't go my way immediately I might want rules to exit the position with a tight stop, or possibly exit and reverse. Or maybe it would just pop up text that says "argh, don't exit, it's going to go back our way any minute now!"

Maybe I do have the tools I need, I dunno. It just doesn't look like I can do it with the formula wizard, although it might be helpful as a starting point.

It seems like there ought to be something out there that i've missed that does this. Even something that didn't use strategy but threw up buy/sell signals on the chart based on rules would be useful for studying. Any ideas?

Thanks for any help.

freeman
    You should already have some simple examples of strategies in your eSignal directory in the Formulas/Back Testing subfolder.
    That aside you can find a number of examples in the Forums from the more basic ones like this to much more articulated ones like this or this.
    A Search for strategies as the keyword should yield a lot more examples.
    Alex

Comment

Working...
    X