Better fills in backtesting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better fills in backtesting

I have a concern re: the validity of my results from backtesting. I understand that only completed bars may be used (in backtesting), thus Strategy.MARKET = bar open, and Strategy.CLOSE = bar close.
    Is it possible to perform math operations on these 'types', i.e.
    var realLongFill = ((Strategy.CLOSE) - (Strategy.MARKET))/2 - Just as a better approximation, and then:

setLimit(realLongFill);
    and then using Strategy.LIMIT for fill type?

I've coded the above, and get no syntax errors, but I also don't get filled...

In a nutshell, how can we get more realistic fills in the backtesting environment? Hopefully I'm missing something obvious here... Thanks for the help!!

dsmith1

Is it possible to perform math operations on these 'types', i.e.
    var realLongFill = ((Strategy.CLOSE) - (Strategy.MARKET))/2
    It is not possible to use the strategy methods in that way.
    A simple solution to accomplish what you want could be to compute a 1 period moving average of (High+Low+Close)/3 eg
    var realLongFill = sma(1,hlc3());
    and then use that as the Limit price eg.
    Strategy.doLong("Long", Strategy.LIMIT, Strategy.THISBAR,Strategy.DEFAULT, realLongFill);
    Hope this helps
    Alex

Comment

thx

thx - got it to work - gives me much more realistic results. Using that '.MARKET' can really skew a system's results.

Comment

dsmith1
        You are most welcome.
        Strategy.MARKET should be used only if one is entering a trade based on the conditions that exist at the prior bar.
        Alex

Comment

Working...
        X