I cannot set the point value to less than 1 for a backtest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I cannot set the point value to less than 1 for a backtest

I am running backtests on the emini sp500 futures. The tick value is .25 index points, or $12.50 per contract. This means that if the futures contract moves the minimum price increment (one tick), say, from 920.00 to 920.25, a long (buying) position would be credited $12.50; a short (selling) position would be debited $12.50. A full point move would be $50.

When I set the point value for the backtest to $50 per point the results are hugely too large. When I set the point value to $1 per point the backtest trade report reports the trades to be double what they should be. So I tried to set the point value to $0.50 per point but I cannot set the point value to less than 1.

Please tell me what I am doing wrong.

jcm21

When I set the point value for the backtest to $50 per point the results are hugely too large. When I set the point value to $1 per point the backtest trade report reports the trades to be double what they should be.
    The fact that when you set the point value to 1 the results are double what they should be indicates that in the Back Testing dialog box you have the Default Lot Size set to 100 ie you are running a back test on 100 contracts. Set that value to 1 and then in the Settings of the Strategy Analyzer Report set the Point Value to 50
    Alex

Originally posted by jcm21
    I am running backtests on the emini sp500 futures. The tick value is .25 index points, or $12.50 per contract. This means that if the futures contract moves the minimum price increment (one tick), say, from 920.00 to 920.25, a long (buying) position would be credited $12.50; a short (selling) position would be debited $12.50. A full point move would be $50.

When I set the point value for the backtest to $50 per point the results are hugely too large. When I set the point value to $1 per point the backtest trade report reports the trades to be double what they should be. So I tried to set the point value to $0.50 per point but I cannot set the point value to less than 1.

Please tell me what I am doing wrong.

Comment

Thank you Alex

Thank you Alex,

Sure am glad you are out there - you are a definite asset to us all. Drive defensively, get regular colonoscopies, eat heathy food, exercise, etc.

Joe Miller

Comment

Joe
        You are most welcome and thank you for the kind words
        Alex

Originally posted by jcm21
        Thank you Alex,

Sure am glad you are out there - you are a definite asset to us all. Drive defensively, get regular colonoscopies, eat heathy food, exercise, etc.

Joe Miller

Comment

Working...
        X