backtesting forex?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• backtesting forex?

so it would seem that my efs that ive been working on that only works on a select few ETFs, works even better on certain currency pairs (though i am a little suspicious of whether or not its in fact testing properly, the equity curve almost looks unbelievable to me since there is practically no significant drawdown)

but the thing is i know almost nothing about forex, im only just getting into it now. my question is this: when backtesting a currency pair, and it asks for a lot size, it is asking for the number of contracts you wish to buy, correct? also, the output, is the net profit displayed in dollars you would have made? or number of contracts you have accumulated? or perhaps in pips? (i apologize for my inexperience in advance)
    Last edited by kalzenith; 06-13-2008, 08:09 AM.

Re: backtesting forex?

kalzenith

...and it asks for a lot size, it is asking for the number of contracts you wish to buy, correct?
    That is correct

...is the net profit displayed in dollars you would have made?or number of contracts you have accumulated?or perhaps in pips? ...
    It is expressed in dollars and depends on the Point Value you have entered in the Settings (set to 1 by default).
    You can find this and other information in the articles on the Strategy Analyzer which are provided in the EFS KnowledgeBase in the Help Guides and Tutorials-> Strategy Analyzer-> Version 2.0 (7.91 or later) folder.
    Alex

Originally posted by kalzenith
    so it would seem that my efs that ive been working on that only works on a select few ETFs, works even better on certain currency pairs (though i am a little suspicious of whether or not its in fact testing properly, the equity curve almost looks unbelievable to me since there is practically no significant drawdown)

but the thing is i know almost nothing about forex, im only just getting into it now. my question is this: when backtesting a currency pair, and it asks for a lot size, it is asking for the number of contracts you wish to buy, correct? also, the output, is the net profit displayed in dollars you would have made? or number of contracts you have accumulated? or perhaps in pips? (i apologize for my inexperience in advance)

Comment

thank you that helps alot, but just to be clear could i ask for one other thing? im not 100% sure what i should enter as the point value, the currency pair im looking at in particular is USDGPB A0-FX

Comment

kalzenith
        That is a question you may want to redirect to your broker or post in the Trading Strategies - General Discussions forum as it is not specifically related to the functionality of the Strategy Analyzer [which is what this forum is for]
        Alex

thank you that helps alot, but just to be clear could i ask for one other thing? im not 100% sure what i should enter as the point value, the currency pair im looking at in particular is USDGPB A0-FX

Comment

will do, thank you

Comment

kalzenith
            You are welcome
            Alex

will do, thank you

Comment

Working...
            X