Backtesting Formula for multi timeframe backtesting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backtesting Formula for multi timeframe backtesting

I am a new eSignal user and need your help with getting around this very simple trading strategy. The only issue is around getting it work on multiple timeframe. I am currently reading through the EFS2 functions [inv() and sym()] which may turn out to be part of the solution but I am no where close to getting this work through the Formaula Wizard. So Any help is highly appreciated.

I use lower time frame strategy for timing exit/entry and higher time frame stratgy for Trend direction signal generation.

Description of the issue/requirement:

Strategy-1[S1] ---(Higher TimeFrame 'Week' for trend direction)
    If current week Bar Close is greater than highest high for last 5 bars (last 5 week high), then doLong 'BUY' [S1.BUY]
    If current week Bar Close is lower than Lowest low for last 5 bars (last 5 week low), then doSell 'SELL' [S1.SELL]

Strategy 2[S2]---(Lower timeframe 'Day' for Entry/Exit timing)
    If current (Daliy) bar close is greater than highest high of last 5 bars (last 5 days high), then 'Go-Long' (Only if the last signal of strategy-1 is S1.BUY) OR Cover short postion (if the last Signal of Strategy-1 is S1.SELL)

If current (Daliy) bar close is lower than lowest low of last 5 bars (last 5 days low), then 'Sell' (Only if the last signal of strategy-1 is S1.BUY) OR Sell-short (if the last Signal of Strategy-1 is S1.SELL)

Individualy it is quite simple to plot individual strategy by itself. However, how do I go about incorporating backtesting and/or ploting the signals of Strategy-2 (lower timeframe) while considering the higher timeframe's (week) signal as the filter for trades in daily timeframe strategy ?

Do I need to use any EFS code to achieve this OR could it be done declaratively via EFS Formula Wizard ?

If code is the onyl option, how to I fetch the last signal value generated by the higher timeframe strategy and use it in the backtesting/ploting of the lower time frame (day) strategy.

Could someone please provide a framework for coding this in EFS and I'll try to work on it to cater to my need. I just need you to guide me in the right direction with coding this requirement.

Any help is much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,
    Utrader

Could someone please atleast let me know if this this is possible in eSignal EFS or not ?
    I have done enough research on this forum looking for solution for my requirement to no avail.
    Please help guys !

Comment

Working...
    X