Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better way to backtest 2 years of futures data

Hello,

Currently when I have to backtest a strategy, first I have to load 2 years of data onto the chart display by continuously scrolling leftwards.. This process takes several hours (more than 5-6 hours at times), thus making it very difficult to test a strategy over multiple charts, as loading each chart itself takes so long..

Is there a faster way to backtest ?

Thanks in advance,

Saurabh

Re: Better way to backtest 2 years of futures data

Saurabh
    Use a Time Template to load the required data [see the linked article for information on Time Templates]
    Alex

Originally posted by saurmitt
    Hello,

Currently when I have to backtest a strategy, first I have to load 2 years of data onto the chart display by continuously scrolling leftwards.. This process takes several hours (more than 5-6 hours at times), thus making it very difficult to test a strategy over multiple charts, as loading each chart itself takes so long..

Is there a faster way to backtest ?

Thanks in advance,

Saurabh

Comment

Thanks Alex. In order to test for 2 years, I tried keeping # of days as 500 for 5 min chart in my time template. However, it seems there is a max limit of 120 days and anything over 120 days automatically gets set as 120.

Am I missing something ?

Regards,
      Saurabh

Comment

I'm not certain but this may be worth a try.

I may have also made change in a a feature on my Account Maintenance. The charge was very inexpensive and well worth it at $10 per month or so.

Again it's been awhile and I may be wrong.

Hope this helps.
        Glen Demarco
        [email protected]

Comment

Hello Glen,

Not sure if I understood you right, but if you were referring to subscription to extended history data, that was already enabled in my account for last several months.

Any other solution to my original question ?

Regards,
          Saurabh

Comment

Saurabh
            That is due to an issue in the Time Template which does not accept a value greater than 120 days for specific Intervals.
            The workaround is to set the Intraday Default of that Time Template to load the required number of days and remove from that Time Template any User Defined Intervals that you may be using for back testing
            Alex

Originally posted by saurmitt
            Thanks Alex. In order to test for 2 years, I tried keeping # of days as 500 for 5 min chart in my time template. However, it seems there is a max limit of 120 days and anything over 120 days automatically gets set as 120.

Am I missing something ?

Regards,
            Saurabh

Comment

Working...
            X