xml read error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xml read error

Hi, I sometimes get this error "xml read error" when I try to backtest a strategy. It usually happens after I have backtested that strategy a few times before (usually I run it several times changing parameters each time).

It is not specific to any particular strategy. The only solution I have found is to restart eSignal, after which it runs fine till a few rounds of testing when I get this error again.

Any help? I am tired of restarting eSignal!

Comment

I have gotten this error many times as well. If someone on the dev team can please respond, that would be great.

Originally posted by Natiroggs View Post
      Hi, I sometimes get this error "xml read error" when I try to backtest a strategy. It usually happens after I have backtested that strategy a few times before (usually I run it several times changing parameters each time).

It is not specific to any particular strategy. The only solution I have found is to restart eSignal, after which it runs fine till a few rounds of testing when I get this error again.

Comment

Have same problem. "xml read error" pop-up. Running esignal version v10.6.1879

I have extended data and was back testing same strategy on 2 charts. Was able to run the strategy on one chart not the other. The other chart would return the error. The 2 charts had different time templates. 6 month and 3 year template for a 60 min chart. The 60 min chart was causing the error.

I rebooted esignal and the 60 min 3 year chart would then only show data for 4 months back. My guess was the 3 year time template was corrupt. I also had a 6 mo template that did the same thing a couple months back that was still corrupt only showing a couple months worth of data. I have other templates that worked fine 1yr, 2yr, 10yr for a 60 min etc.

The 6mo and 3yr where stuck. I then cued the 6mo for deletion and created a new 6mo template and hit ok. After almost a minute the software unfroze and the new 6mo template worked plus the 3yr worked again without having to delete and recreate that template.

Whats up with that ? The same strategy now back tests on all templates again.
        Last edited by huntergatherer; 08-29-2012, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Hello All,

Let me first apologize for the delay in reporting back, a variety of tests were performed and we were unable to duplicate the issue reported.

Conditions of the tests were as follows

Time Template set to 16:30-16:15 for 600 days of intraday data
          Symbol ES #F
          Intervals of 1, 5 and 15 minutes
          Formula used was the one provided by the user [no settings were changed]

Backtest repeated 10 times on 1 minute interval
          Backtest repeated 20 times on 5 minute interval
          Backtest repeated 25 times on 15 minute interval
          All tests performed in succession

Memory usage increased during each test but eventually returned to the values prior to the test.

@ Natiroggs
          If you could provide your page(s) along with exact setting and the process used for your test we'll try once again to duplicate the issues reported.

AveryH
          eSignal Support

Comment

Originally posted by eSignal_AveryH View Post
            Hello All,

Let me first apologize for the delay in reporting back, a variety of tests were performed and we were unable to duplicate the issue reported.

Conditions of the tests were as follows

Time Template set to 16:30-16:15 for 600 days of intraday data
            Symbol ES #F
            Intervals of 1, 5 and 15 minutes
            Formula used was the one provided by the user [no settings were changed]

Backtest repeated 10 times on 1 minute interval
            Backtest repeated 20 times on 5 minute interval
            Backtest repeated 25 times on 15 minute interval
            All tests performed in succession

Memory usage increased during each test but eventually returned to the values prior to the test.

@ Natiroggs
            If you could provide your page(s) along with exact setting and the process used for your test we'll try once again to duplicate the issues reported.

AveryH
            eSignal Support
            Thank you AveryH. After reading your post I tried a few things: 1st I tried to figure out if it could be my efs or if it is a problem outside the efs. So I took a standard backtest efs provided by eSignal (can be found in Backtesting folder, btEMA. I opened a new 5 min chart with gold symbol (continuous contract and backadjustment enabled). Scrolled back to load more than 2 years of data and then ran the back test (right click --> tools --> backtesting). On running it the memory used increased and did not drop back like in your case.
            Now I thought it could be the page to I opened a new page and loaded the same chart and ran the same test with similar result. After running it a few times I received "xml read error".
            Time template: I do not set any time template. I am not sure how to find out my time template. On right click --> Time templates, none of the templates were selected. So I guess it means that the time template is dynamic?

Comment

Working...
            X