EFS help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EFS help

I am in the process of translating my EasyLanguage trading code into eSignal's EFS JavaScript. I thought I would post my questions in this thread as some other subscribers may find it of benefit as well. Please feel free to post your own questions, comments and suggestions.

thanks,
    c_13

The return strategy condition "Strategy.isLong" and "Strategy.isShort": can EFS differentiate these two conditions without getting confused ie. not ignore the components of the net position? For example, say you trade two automated models that are applied to the same symbol and the same chart and you have two buy (a & b) signals and one sellshort signal (ss_a). You then get a signal to liquidate long "a". How is this evaluated?

Would the user have to run these strategies on seperate charts alltogether?

c_13

Comment

"Strategy.setStop" was used in the EFS beginners' guide for an exit order. Can this also be used to set a stop-in level (entry) or is there another term for this action?

c_13

Perhaps he could have a section on this site that has a table of EasyLanguage reserved words with their EFS equivalent (or visa-versa). That would be extremely helpful for users trying to translate and learn the script language.

Comment

Hello c_13,

I'll try to answer your questions below. FYI, we have a nice Guide to Developing EFS Strategies for back testing in our
        EFS Help Center. Many of your questions may be answered there as well.

With back testing formulas that use the Strategy object for passing info to the Strategy Analyzer, you can only be on one side of the trade at a time. You cannot have both a long and short position active at the same time. If for example, you are in a long position and you call Strategy.doShort(), your long position will automatically be closed before the short position is entered. You can however have multiple calls of Strategy.doLong() in succession and add to your position. Vise versa for Strategy.doShort().

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "stop-in level (entry)." If you are in a position, either long or short and you call Strategy.setStop(), you position will simply be closed when the stop price has been breached.
        Jason K.
        Project Manager
        eSignal - an Interactive Data company

EFS KnowledgeBase
        JavaScript for EFS Video Series
        EFS Beginner Tutorial Series
        EFS Glossary
        Custom EFS Development Policy

New User Orientation

Comment

The stop-in will have to be coded by you. There is not a strategy to get you there. It is not difficult though, you just have to set your stop such if the price goes above, you will go long (assuming that is what you mean). In this case, you would probably have an if statement to figure the entry condition, then Strategy.doLong("Stop Level Entry", etc... if that condition was met.

That way, the Strategy Report will indicate that your long entry was a "Stop Level Entry".

There are limitations associated with the strategy analyzer, however, I've heard they are planning on making improvements. It is a very good tool.

Comment

hey steve, I am stumped on the correct way to code these stopped-in entries. I don't know if it is a computational problem or perhaps my relative offset(s). I began a thread to hopefully get some assistance. Please check it out when you have a minute.

thanks,

http://forum.esignalcentral.com/show...&threadid=7338

Comment

Working...
            X