Backtest "Bugs"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backtest "Bugs"?

I have just re-downloaded & re-installed 7.5, and the following continue to happen with BackTest:
    1. Backtest refuses the Time Template I give it, and just makes up one of its own which is similar to nothing I have on file -- I need to test 20 days and it gives me 6 when I have nothing close to a 6-day Template, etc. When I finally get it to take the correct template, I don't know how I did it -- it seems to be making up its own mind randomly;
    2. Frequently starts the Daily Trading Summary, item 1, page 1, with lots of (random?) stuff in the "...Rolling Period..." columns, thereby making totals and comparisons totally useless. I suspect it's analyzing days PRIOR to the top-line date, and just not telling anybody about it;
    3. Changes output from run-to-run with identical data and identical studies;
    4. Started "HIDING" the Formula Output Window, & will only show it after a LONG period of the cursor sitting where the data is SUPPOSED to be (the top ribbon appears, but no body), then disappears again when the cursor leaves the data section, then takes an eternity (up to 60 seconds) to REappear when the cursor is moved back over the data area (same data, it didn't need to rethink anything -- why'd it take a minute?).

The above seems to have started spasmodically a couple of days ago, and reached the point where BackTest is totally unstable and untrustworthy. It matters not whether I use new, under-development code or old, tested, unchanged studies. Did I do something that broke it? Did somebody slip in a new, buggy aplha version somehow? What's going on?
    Any comments or advice from "out there"?

IrvPrail
    With regards to the Formula Output Window disappearing you may have inadvertently switched on the auto hide window.
    In the Title Bar of the Formula Output Window there is an icon to the left of the X-out button that toggles this feature on or off. If the triangle is pointing to the left it is switched on and when the focus is on another part of the application the Formula Output Window minimizes itself to show only the Title Bar. When the triangle is pointing up the feature is switched off.
    Alex

Comment

IrvPrail
      With regards instead to the issues you are having with the Time Templates, it is possible that the file got somehow corrupted.
      One thing you may want to try is to close eSignal, then move the Time Templates.xml file which is in the eSignal folder to another directory and restart eSignal.
      Open a default chart and click No when prompted to load the missing Time Template.
      At that point create a test Time Template and if the new one works correctly then you will want to recreate all your Time Templates from scratch. If not you can always restore your old Time Templates file.
      Hope this helps
      Alex

Comment

Alexis: Thanks for your usual concise solutions! That "almost" fixed everything. Except: Daily Trading Summary now only details twenty days, lumping all days older than 20 in the top-line "Daily Rolling Period Analysis" columns. The "Period" lets one know when the analysis started, but there's no way to see the daily detail of anything beyond 20 days. "Trades" tab still shows older info, but there's now no way to summarize things without a calculator and error-prone manual data entry. I'm sure older versions allowed more analysis; is this a bug or an "improvement"? Thanks again for all your help!
        ~ Irv ~

Comment

Irv
          Click on the Settings icon in the main menu of the Strategy Analyzer, then click on Display tab. In the Periodical Analysis tab settings section increase the number of days from the default 20 to 120.
          That will give you the daily detail you want.
          Alex

Comment

Working...
          X