Backtesting Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backtesting Problem

I can't get my backtester to work. I downloaded the latest version of ESignal, the one updated on 3/19/04. Then I copied BtMovingAverage.efs from the Efs Help Center, & put it in a futures chart, 30 minute live cattle. It shows the trades on the chart, but when I run the backtester, everything is zero in the Strategy Analyzer........what am I doing wrong? Thanks.

lwestlund
    FWIW I just ran a backtest on LC M4 30 minute using BtMovingAverage.efs and it seems to work fine (see image).
    Can you provide the steps you went through to copy the efs (btw a copy of it is already in the BackTesting subfolder of Formulas) and to run the Strategy Analyzer
    Alex

Comment

Hi Alexis-

Thanks for the reply. I copied the efs file because I had already tried the one that was stored in the formulas file, & it didn't work. I brought up the advanced chart with LC 30 in it. Clicked on formulas, & added the BtMovingAverage formula. Then clicked Tools, then backtest, then test, with BtMovingAverage selected. Everything is still zero. It makes me think there is a software error, or something is set wrong. Any ideas? Thanks.

......Slept on the problem, then woke up & thought it might be that I had set the minimum rate of return too high. If the system wasn't profitable for this chart, then nothing would be returned. So I went to retest it this morning, & this time, all I get is a pop-up window that says Retrieving Data, 0 bars received.......it never brings up the System Analyzer.

.....Finally got it to work! I rebooted the computer, & changed the Time Template from 1 day to 24 hours......I don't know what the difference is, but it worked. Is there a place where a beginner at efs like me can get some help with the basics like this? Other than this bulletin board, I mean. Is there a section of the manual that just deals with backtesting? Thanks.
      Last edited by lwestlund; 03-26-2004, 04:09 AM.

Comment

lwestlund

So I went to retest it this morning, & this time, all I get is a pop-up window that says Retrieving Data, 0 bars received.......

This can happen if you are back testing on a time frame other than the one for which you already have a chart open or with a Time Template that requires a different amount of data that what is already in a chart. The BackTester has to then retrieve the data.

I don't know what the difference is, but it worked

What probably happened was that there were not enough bars in 1 day to conduct the test. On LC 30 minute chart there are only 8 bars which is not even the length of the MA used in that efs ie 10.

Is there a place where a beginner at efs like me can get some help with the basics like this?

All the documentation regarding EFS, how to build indicators and stratgies, BackTesting and related subjects can be found in the EFS Help Center & Library
        Alex

Comment

Working...
        X