Buying and selling in a backtest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying and selling in a backtest?

I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong here I've tried everything, in this code if i have going long and short it looks ok but if i just want to have it short and covering but not going long it doesn't recognize going short, could anybody tell me what i'm doing wrong?
    Attached Files

I believe you have to use Strategy.doCover or Strategy.doSell which will close your position.

Comment

yeah i was about to post that i figured it out...thanks though

Comment

actually does something look wrong with this code ?

if (Strategy.isInTrade() == true && (Strategy.isShort() == true)) {
        hi = high();
        if ((hi - nTradeEntryPrice) > .005){
        nStopLevel = hi;
        Strategy.doCover("Loss stop out", Strategy.STOP, Strategy.THISBAR, nStopLevel);
        }
        }

Comment

You will probably figure this out ... the only thing that I see that you could add is a Strategy.ALL flag. Otherwise, all looks well... your command structure is similar to working code I have.

One other implementation of the strategy that I use is Strategy.doCover(sAction,Strategy.CLOSE, Strategy.THISBAR,Strategy.ALL) where sAction is my text message. I use this to exit at the end of trading hours.

btw, unusual avatar

Comment

That Avatar is just what I needed to break the ice this morning.
            LOL

To funny
            Excellent book on JavaScript for beginners

Comment

thanks for the compliments on the avatar, it was either that one or the fat kid going crazy...anyways i thought it looked good too but if i comment out that stop the code works fine, but if i leave it in the indicator doesn't show up...any ideas?
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X