Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Efs Wizard Problems

Hi Jason/Alex:

Tech support have passed me through to you and I understand that you have been made aware of the problem...

I have tested eSiganl over the past 2-3 years on 3 occasions and have not subscribed as a result of not being able to create alerts using the EFS Formulae Wizard that comes witht he software....

When adding EFS alerts such as RSI overbought/oversold or Stochastic over bought/oversold that come with eSignal, they work fine. However, if I recreate these (or any alert using the Formulae Wizard) I cannot get the alerts to work.

The Formulae Wizard is easy to use and the syntax is very straight forward. It does not matter whiether I try to create simple formulaes, complex formulaes or simple reconstruct an alert provided online, the Alert simply does not trigger.

I have checked the syntaz as well using the EFS Syntax checker provided but it indicates that there are no errors in the formulae.

I wish to subscribe to eSignal, but I am not a programmer and do not wish to start learning java in order to set active alerts. Rather, if the Formaule Wizard is provided, I wish to use the Formulae Wizard to create alerts.

Please can someone contact me and help resolve this matter so that I can make an informed decision whether to subscribe to eSignal after testing the service.

Thanks.

If you w ish to speak directly (which would be my preference), please provide me with a phone number by email and I will call you.

Hello Matthew,

In your Formula Engine Settings (Tools --> EFS --> EFS Settings), do you have the option checked for "Make all formulas compute on close?" If so, uncheck that option and try your formula again.

If this does not solve your problem, please post one of your formulas using the attachment feature and I'll take a look at the code to see why your alerts are not being triggered. It's possible that the logic you have set up is not allowing the alert to trigger as your are expecting. Logic errors cannot be caught by the syntax checker. Because it says there are no syntax errors it does not mean that the formula should work as you are expecting. I'm sure it is a simple issue. Once I see your code we should be able to get you going.
    Jason K.
    Project Manager
    eSignal - an Interactive Data company

EFS KnowledgeBase
    JavaScript for EFS Video Series
    EFS Beginner Tutorial Series
    EFS Glossary
    Custom EFS Development Policy

New User Orientation

Comment

Eps File Uploaded

PLEASE FIND FILES UPLOADED
      Attached Files

Comment

EFS Settings

OK.... changed settings to tick by tick and the formulaes work but obviously I get hundreds of alerts instead of just one. What's next?

Comment

Hello Matthew,

You just need to modify your conditions. First, let me explain what is happening with your current formula. An EFS gets executed on every trade (without using the set compute on close option of course). In your Set 1 and Set 2 conditions, the first time MACD < Signal is true during an interval you get the alert for that condition. Your second condition triggers the alert in the opposite direction the first time is sees MACD > Signal. In real time, the MACD and Signal line can cross and then uncross multiple times within the same interval, which causes the alerts to be triggered multiple times.

The solution is to look at the value of the MACD and Signal lines on the prior two bars to find a confirmed cross. So what you need to tell the formula wizard is to look and see if the MACD on bar -1 > Signal on bar -1 AND if the MACD on bar -2 <= Signal on bar -2. And vise versa for Set 2. Since your alert will trigger only the first time it sees the condition as true, the alert will be evaluated and triggered at the open of a bar where the cross was confirmed on the bar that just closed, or bar -1.

Here's what Set 1 needs to look like:

Here's what Set 2 needs to look like:

Give this a shot and if you have any more problems, please let us know.
          Jason K.
          Project Manager

EFS KnowledgeBase
          EFS Glossary

New User Orientation

Comment

Thanks

Hi Jason:

First of all thanks for your help and patience. It looks as though this seems to have solved the problem. I am going to test overnight and then I should get a good feel for the results.

QUESTION 1: Is this process the same for any formulaes that involve cross-overs. i.e. Stochastic, crossing levels etc.

QUESTION 2: Is there an online tutorial that explains in detail the syntax's to use such as the explanation that you gave fore the MACD

QUESTION 3: Is there any way of combining time-frames when setting alerts. i.e. if I want to trigger an alert when the 45 min macd, 10 min macd and 1 min macd all cross in the same direction?

Cheers.

Matthew

Comment

Hello Matthew,

1. Yes, the same logic can be applied to any two indicators that cross.
              2. We don't have tutorials that cover all possible scenerios. We do have some guides and reference materials with basic examples in our EFS KnowledgeBase. If there is something specific you're trying to figure out how to code I would recommend doing a search here in the forums using some keywords related to your objective. There's been thousands of conversations here about how to code various routines. There's a good chance you'll find some code examples that will help you. If you don't find something helpful that way, then post your questions here in the forums.
              3. Multiple time frame studies are not easily accomplished in EFS currently. The formula wizard will not be able to accompate this type of study. However, EFS2 (currently in Beta) will enable multiple time frame studies with relative ease. This functionality will be available in the 7.9 release. The Formula Wizard, however, will probably not be updated for EFS2 compatability until the 8.0 release sometime later this year. If you do require some more advanced programming for your trading needs and don't want to wait for 8.0 you could always contact one of our EFS Consultants.
              Jason K.
              Project Manager

EFS KnowledgeBase
              EFS Glossary

New User Orientation

Comment

Working...
              X