indicator for running cumulative $TICK total

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• indicator for running cumulative $TICK total

can an indicator be made availabel which calculates a cumulative running total of a ticker symbol (such as $TICK and $ADD). I would like to be able to graph an indicator such as a running 13 period cumulative total of $TICK (on a 1 min chart) and be able to chart it with Bollinger Bands. Ideally, the number of periods would be a variable.

tfd
    You will not be able to create the required formula using the Formula Wizard and will need the Editor to do this.
    With regards to the indicator all that is required is a for loop in which you sum the last x values of the symbol you want. The following code shows you an example of how to sum the last 13 values of the Close for the symbol $TICK.

PHP Code:
    var vSum 0;
            for (var 
    x=0x<13x++){

vSum += close(-x,sym("$tick"));
        } 
    At this point just return vSum and it will plot your basic indicator. If you then want to use this indicator as an input to a study (such as Bollinger Bands for example) then you have two solutions.
    The first is to use the code shown above as a separate function and then call that function using efsInternal() and use the series as an input to the study. The other way is to make the indicator a separate efs altogether and then call it using efsExternal() and use the series as the input to the study. The two methods are very similar and are described in detail in this thread which provides you various examples of how to do it.
    Alex

Comment

thanks for the reply i guess, but is it really this complicated?
      i entered your code in the Editor option and saved it. the
      thread you referenced appears unbelievably complicated and i do not understand at all what to do with it.
      i am not a programmer. there is no listing of efsInternal or efsExternal in the Help guide.
      i don't know at all where to go or what to do.

Comment

tfd
        How complicated it is depends on how much you know about programming in EFS (ie eSignal Formula Script).
        FWIW this is true of any programming language not just EFS. If you are completely unfamiliar with EFS then you may want to first go through the Help Guides which are available in the EFS KnowledgeBase. If you are further interested in learning about JavaScript (which is at the foundation of EFS) then there is also a complete section dedicated to that in the EFS KnowledgeBase.
        If on the other hand you do not wish to learn the language but need studies that require programming (as is the case for this indicator) then you may want to contact one of the EFS Consultants and have them write the study for you.
        Alex

Comment

Working...
        X