formula wizard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• formula wizard

I am new to eSignal and I am trying to get used to the formula wizard. I have written a few basic formulas to do backtesting on MA crosses with RSI parameters and they are working, but I can't seem to figure out how to setup a close date. Any help would be appreciated.

rpendergraft1
    You may need to post some more details about what you are trying to accomplish (preferably including your code) as it is not clear what you mean with "setup a close date".
    Alex

Comment

I setup a test in formula wizard to test instances where the 5-day moving average was above the 20-day moving average and the RSI was below 40. I set it up to go long in each instance, but I can't get it to set up a closeout date. I also can't get the formula to copy from Formula Wizard so that I can paste it here for you.

Comment

rpendergraft1
        Are you viewing the Bulletin Board using the browser in eSignal? If so try using an external browser (ie Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc) to post your message. That way you should be able to either attach the file directly to your post or paste the contents of the formula in your message
        Alex

Comment

Actually, it is the copying from Formula wizard that is the problem, not the pasting.

Comment

rpendergraft1
            You cannot copy from the Formula Wizard window. You need to open the script with the Editor (Tools-> EFS-> Editor) and copy from there. The simpler solution is to attach the efs file to your reply in the forum
            Alex

Comment

See attachment.
              Attached Files

Comment

rpendergraft1
                In a prior post (see quote below) you mention that you have set up the strategy to go long if your conditions are met. As far as I can see it is set up to go short.
                Regardless all you now have in your script is the condition to trigger a trade and the command required to enter the trade itself.
                At this point you need to define how the trade is exited. To do that you use Set2 and in it define those conditions presumably based on a reversal cross of the moving averages or of the rsi going above/below a defined threshold
                Alex

Originally posted by rpendergraft1
                I setup a test in formula wizard to test instances where the 5-day moving average was above the 20-day moving average and the RSI was below 40. I set it up to go long in each instance, but I can't get it to set up a closeout date. I also can't get the formula to copy from Formula Wizard so that I can paste it here for you.

Comment

Thank you. I have been playing with the formula and I must have flipped the "go long" command to a "go short".

Comment

Efs once obtained

Once I have an EFS study,do I have to type it in someplace or simple attached it someplace?

Comment

laredo1950
                      To run an efs in a chart right click the chart, select Formulas, go to the subfolder that contains the efs and click it.
                      Alex

Comment

loading efs into library or..

how does one place the EFS on to formulas area if it arrives to you in the form of an email attachment

Comment

laredo1950
                          Just save the attachment to the Formulas folder or any one of its subfolders.
                          Alex

Comment

symbol

that worked well and I went to edit studies as per direction to write in the formula paramater.However this is to be applied to the $ticki and no where under edit am I asked for a symbol.I want the formula to create a line derived from the $ticki data,and diferent from a futures symbol in the price window.

Comment

laredo1950
                              The Formula Wizard uses EFS1 built-in studies which are not enabled for external symbols and/or intervals.
                              You will need to write the formula with the EFS Editor using the EFS2 built-in studies and functions. As an example of how to do this see any one of the efs that are in the EFS 2 Custom folder in Formulas. These efs are written using EFS2 built-in studies and are already pre-programmed for use with external intervals and/or symbols.
                              For more information on all the EFS2 functions see also the EFS2 Function Reference in the EFS KnowledgeBase
                              Alex

Comment

Working...
                              X