FW Formula Conversion (Manual Edit)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FW Formula Conversion (Manual Edit)

Pending an improved Formula Wizard that allows users to define and use non-builtin studies in Set1, Set2, etc. configuration, I'm curious if this will work. To create a formula using studies both on the FW builtin list and studies not on the list:

1. Create the formula in Formula Wizard to the extent possible using studies on the built-in list. (This is a big help to get the basic formula structure, foundation of "if", "else if" sets, and actions.)

2. Save the formula; exit Formula Wizard; then open the formula in the regular formula editor.

3. Delete all lines that start with "//{{EFSWizard . . . " so that the formula is now equivalent to one created in the regular formula editor.

4. Edit to add in the code for the non-builtin study part of the formula.

5. Save and run.

With all the "//{{EFSWizard . . . " lines stripped out, will the formula work, or are there other EFSWizard peculiarities in other lines of the code that also need to be edited?

Yep, no problem. The //{{ are only comment lines to let the FW know where to parse out your code. They don't have any effect when you're actually running the EFS. If those lines are not there, then it will not load in the FW, but it will still run in AdvCharts.

In general, if you want to edit the formula manually, just do it OUTSIDE the //{{ ... //}} brackets, if you want it to be reloaded into the FW, but you may discard them if you wish to significantly modify the starting point that the FW gives you.

Comment

Dion

Would it be possible to turn off all the comments in FW as an option?

Just a suggestion.

Comment

Well, then you won't be able to load it back into the FW =). I suppose we could add an 'Export w/o FW Support' option.

Comment

Import back into FW!!

haha, that's a good one, very funny!!!

Comment

What a shocker, it worked! This is how:

1. Create the formula using a builtin FW study as a proxy (placeholder in the code) for the non-builtin study that needs to be manually added. The FW then creates a working formula with no syntax errors. (Compare to a non-working formula with all kinds of errors, which is my usual result. lol).

2. Use the regular editor and add the non-builtin study var information to the function main section, above the FW expressions. (I copied the var and other add-in code from another formula I found; (I don't understand the code, but copying works)).

3. Replace all the proxy references throughout the FW expressions with the non-builtin study reference.

4. Delete all lines starting with //{{

It's a workaround solution, but it works.

Comment

Working...
            X