This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NickM Big Move Bollinger Indicator

Would there be anyone interested in translating this Tradestation formula into .efs? It uses the relationship between overlayed Bollinger Bands and Keltner Channels to indicate an impending breakout. I'll paste in the explanation, formula and chart below. Thanks in advance.

From Tradestationworld:
    (http://www.tradestationworld.com/dis...m=NickMBigMove );

NickMBigMove
    "Description: nickm001 has kindly given me permission to share with you his indicator which identifies breakouts. As students of Bollinger Bands know, when the bands get "narrow", a breakout is about to occur. But how narrow is narrow? This indicator simply plots a value of 1 in the rare case that Bollinger Bands fit inside the Keltner Channel of the same length, and it plots a value of 0 otherwise.

nickm001 said this:
    I would like to add couple of things to the initial idea in hope that more comments or feedback is generated.
    Method is another variation of “coiled spring” and visually depicts reduction of short term volatility compared with it’s historic value, when Bollinger Band “squeezes” Keltner channel. It could be used as a setup within breakout system. Bollinger Band (ma, -2, =2) and Keltner (ma, 1.5, -1.5) channel should be plotted around the same length MA, for this to work. The following condition will enhance the probability and the size of breakout:
    • Recent volatility is well within Keltner. The size of the pending move is inversely proportional to the width of the BB – the narrower the channel, bigger the move.
    • Keltner is plotting horizontal channel. Basically stock is moving sideways in congestion and volatility is dropping in preparation for a big move.
    • It does happen in all time frames, more often in short time frames then long. I have seen it very seldom in daily charts, however if you do see one, probability of substantial move is pretty high.
    Limitations: This indicator does not show whether the next move is a breakout or a breakdown, or how soon it's going to happen; that would have to come from your other technical or fundamental insights."

Formula:
    ==================
    { An implementation of an idea by nickm001, who observed that when the
    Bollinger Band fit inside the keltner channel, a breakout is about
    to occur. It works on longer term charts, such as 15 minute to daily
    charts.

Note: Style needs to be set to histogram.

Code by eKam 7/17/2003
    }

inputs:
    Price(Close), Length(20),
    nK(1.5), nBB(2);

var:
    Avg(0),
    ATR(0), KShift(0), KLower(0), KUpper(0),
    SDev(0), BBLower(0), BBUpper(0);

if barnumber = 1 then begin
    var: alertTextID(-1);
    alertTextID = Text_New(date,time,0,"RSI");
    end;

Avg = AverageFC(Price, Length);

{ keltner }
    ATR = AvgTrueRange(Length);
    KUpper = Avg + nK * ATR;
    KLower = Avg - nK * ATR;

{ Bollinger }
    SDev = StandardDev(Price, Length, 1);
    BBUpper = Avg + nBB * SDev;
    BBLower = Avg - nBB * SDev;

if BBUpper <= KUpper
    and BBLower >= KLower then begin { bb fits inside keltner }
    plot1(1,"nickm bkout");
    if plot1 > 0 and plot1[1] = 0
    and Text_GetTime(alertTextID) <> time then begin
    text_setLocation(alertTextID, date, time, 0);
    alert("nickm big move");
    end;
    end;
    ======================
    Attached Files

jouster
    The attached study computes the Keltner channel (as I understand TS2k calculates it) and the Bollinger bands and sets the conditions as in the script you posted. If the Bollinger bands are inside (or equal) to the Keltner channel it plots a value of 1 on the histogram
    Alex
    Attached Files

Comment

Great work!

Alex,

Thanks very much for the speedy response--your efs version works great. I plugged it in as soon as you posted it and it gave warning bars the last 25 minutes of Thursdays market and first 10 minutes on Friday(3m and 5m charts) for the Dows big drop on Friday! Looks to be a helpful indicator when paired with other confirming signals.

Not to presume on your time after your fine help but when you have a chance I have a question regarding good exit strategies for long trends like we had Friday in the YM/DJ. I was reading some posts over in TradestationWorld regarding dynamic updating ATR combined with the Parabolic SAR and the Chandelier stops. Chuck LeBeau made his formula public in .ELD format with a related global updating .dll file. Do you know if there's anything like this in the eSignal archives? My searches brought up the Chandelier stops .efs, but without dynamic updating. I could post the .ELD files but they're not in text format. Thanks for your help on the 'NickMBigMove'!

(PS- A side note for others that might be interested to see the Bollinger Bands and Keltner bands at work creating the NickMBigMove signals: I'd suggest the use of Alex's file, "keltner channel (ts2k)-2.efs". There seem to be several versions of the Keltner Bands formula and this one seems to fit the formula in NickMBigMove formula. Note the settings for the Keltner suggested in the previous post; 1.5, 20ma, C).

Comment

jouster
        The only Chandelier EFSs that I am aware of are those programmed by Chris Kryza which can be found here
        Alex

Comment

Alexis,

Would it be possible for you to supply me with the keltner efs that you used for the NickM efs.

Also

1) How do i add to the efs script for the following conditions:
          a)if either of the BB upper enters the keltner channels ie. if upper BB goes below upper keltner OR if lower BB goes above lower keltner?
          b) If either BB band is inside their respective keltner channel, give a signal

2) How can i change the output on the indicator from a histogram to dots with both BB outside giving one colour and if one of the BB is inside giving another?

Many thanks

David

Comment

Alexis Keltner formula

Hello David,

The Keltner formula by Alexis I referred to in my original post is found here.

Sorry I should have included the link in my original note. Alexis may have another suggestion. Your thoughts about which BBands are crossed is an interesting angle. I'll be interested to see what results.

Lon

Comment

Working...
            X