Grid Lines custom made

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grid Lines custom made

Hi, I wondering has anyone done this before (I looked in the old posts and couldnt find anything).
    I'm looking to apply several/many horizontal lines on my advanced charts, with a common gap between them, say at 1 point intervals. eg Starting at 800 on the S&P,place a line there, then the next at 801, next at 802 etc etc going horizontally.
    I guess the data/price point to start off with could be manual (ie typed in the program), but it would be great if I could place the start point by cursor and/or move that point around-but perhaps I'm pushing the bounds of reality too far!!
    Anyway, any suggestions would be greatly received
    John

John

You might be able to adapt the attached efs to your needs.
    As is the formula plots 4 lines every 5 points above and below yesterday's close.
    If you go to Edit Studies and type Pivot as the variable it will use the Pivot as the center. Else you can just type a value and that will be the centerline.

You can modify the spacing of the plotted lines by changing the values in Lines 86 to 93 of the formula.
    Based on the existing formula you should be able to easily add more lines or place them differently. It should also be easy to add a variable for the spacing so that you can modify it in Edit Studies.
    Hope this helps

Alex
    Attached Files

Comment

Grid Lines

Hi Alex, thanks very much -thats just what I was trying to do!
      One question please. I tried typing Pivot under edit studies and it seemed to accept it but no lines came up. My idea is very similar to the Pivot idea but using the previous days high+low/2 . I have been using the MA Study facility in BAsic studies with M1, offset 1 so that it prints yesterdays midline on todays period. Is it possible to use this Basic Study (which prints one period in advance to the right of the screen or would I have to use this:

var vSMA1_of_HL/2 = new MAStudy(1, 1, "HL/2", MAStudy.SIMPLE);
      The study above wouldn't of course print one day ahead. I wasn't sure where to put this into your program without getting in a pickle with the array.Could you advise me?

Many thanks once again.
      John

Comment

John
        Let's tackle one issue at a time.
        When you typed Pivot in Edit Studies did you use upper case P?
        If no please try again typing Pivot as is written here.
        If yes do you have an efs in Pivots subfolder of Formulas called PivotPoint.efs?
        If no attached to this message is a copy of it. Save it in Pivots folder and then run the SR Lines efs again and please let me know if this fixes it.
        Alex
        Attached Files
        Last edited by ACM; 03-28-2003, 12:38 PM.

Comment

GridLines

Hi ALex, yes you were right about typing Pivot instead of pivot. That worked. I amended that document to use H & Lo not close(please see attached document) and renamed it PivotJH. I tried to do an edit studies again with PivotJH but it didnt recognise it. I guess the other option is to change the file command buried in your program for the original grid or, to use the moving average from the Basic STudy(????). What do you think?
          Thanks
          John
          Attached Files

Comment

John
            Good to hear it was just that.
            In the mean time I prepared a slightly modified version of SR Lines.
            In this one if you type Pivot it will use PivotPoints.efs to calculate the lines if you type Mid it will use the Mid Point.efs that I will attach to a separate message. Else you can simply type the number you wish.
            The default setting is yesterday's Close
            Alex
            Attached Files
            Last edited by ACM; 03-28-2003, 11:19 AM.

Comment

John
              Attached is the Mid Point.efs that the prior formula uses if you type Mid in the Edit Studies.
              Save this formula in the Pivots subfolder of Formulas (this is where the other formula expects to find it)
              Alex
              NOTE: Mid Point is nothing but the PivotPoint.efs with the Close taken out of the calculation. Comments are in the formula itself where changes have been made.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by ACM; 03-28-2003, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Grid Lines

Hi Alex, thanks very much for doing the change for midpoint. That works a treat. One last question please. I see from the Midpoint.efs file that the period,in this case daily, for the midpoint calc is set by lines 44/51/64. If I wanted to calculate the weekly version to show the linres on daily or intraday, is it just as simple as replacing the "d" with "w" and the "day" with "week"????
                Also., if I wanted to do an intraday calc (Perhaps not with this as its going to look messy, but with other future projects!), is there a command for intraday or do I replace the "D" with "60" for 60 min and "intraday" for "day"?????
                Many thanks once again
                John

Comment

John
                  As for the weekly you could use the PivotPointAllweekly that I believ Jason K. posted some time ago. You could then implement the same modification to that efs to derive the weekly mid point.
                  As for intraday I don't think it is quite as simple as substituting intervals. I would not know how to do it, but I do know that trying to do intraday multi-time frame formulae is not an easy task for now. However it is my understanding that there are things being worked on that will make this an easier process.
                  Alex

Comment

Hello John,

The formula below will draw the previous week's midpoint on intra-day charts. Try it out and let me know if this is what you wanted.

In regards to your intra-day calc, I do not understand what you are trying to achieve exactly. Please give me an example with some code, if possible, of what you are trying to do. I'll be able to give you better feedback.

WeeklyMidpointOnIntraday.efs

Jason K.
                    Project Manager
                    eSignal - an Interactive Data company

EFS KnowledgeBase
                    JavaScript for EFS Video Series
                    EFS Beginner Tutorial Series
                    EFS Glossary
                    Custom EFS Development Policy

New User Orientation

Comment

INTRADAY PIVOT POINTS

Hi jason, thanks for you reply. This post is overlapping with your Weekly pIVOT points one which i have just replied to. I can certainly reply in more detail on what i required intraday, but initially (as you'll see on the other post) it was just to find out more of what calculations (EG pp'S ETC) could be carried out intraday. Alex,below, seemed to think that any coding involving an intrday period like 60min, was fraught with problems at it stands at the moment. My simplistic mind was thinking substitute a 60 for a D, but I know its not that simple.
                      Thanks
                      John

Comment

Working...
                      X