Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Request for new Builtin Study

Hi Folks, not sure if this is the right place... sorry if it isn't,

Could ya'll add the TRIANGLE MA to the builtin studies please?

Thanks!

Correct TMA uploaded 6/13/05
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Tex50; 06-13-2005, 06:01 AM.
    Tex

Tex
    You can find one already programmed here that uses my amStudies Function Library and has the same exact functionality of a builtin study. The efs is also fully customizable and preset for use with multiple intervals/symbols.
    For information on the amStudies Function Library click here
    Alex

Comment

Good Grief, I looked all over the place for a TMA without luck... and there it is!

I hate reinventing the wheel myself, but had to have something fast and it only took a few minutes to code.

You've proven your value to all of us yet again Alex, 3 cheers and a whoop-de-do!

Thanks!

PS: Would it be possible to put a Libraries Only and/or a Functions Only area in the forum where everybodies free to the world contributions could be stored? (rather than in 50 million different groups) I only ask this because the search function isn't so hot...
      Tex

Comment

On a final note, I am not sure who is treating the TMA properly for even numbered sample periods. I tried your TMA and that one found in the dsFunctions area.

Both yours and the dsFunction TMA's are the same where as mine performs a bit differently.

For the series, it looks like you round whereas I do not.

Mine calculates as follows for even/odd series.

even: (1,2,3,3,2,1)
        odd: (1,2,3,2,1)

I do not truncate or round.

Granted there is always some ambiguity in math functions, but I have no definitive example to reference at the moment. If I am wrong or if you have a reference, I would be very pleased to be corrected.

Cheers!

PS: Yellow is mine, blue & red dotted are the others.
        Attached Files
        Tex

Comment

Tex
          I use the definition provided by Steve Achelis in his Technical Analysis from A to Z which is available here.
          The same formula is also used by TradeStation which in fact returns the same results (the enclosed images show an 8 period TMA using eSignal and TradeStation)
          On a different note you may want to correct your formula in lines 101-104 where the [ i ] should be [ j ]
          Alex

PS Should the link to TA from A to Z not work properly you can find the same material mirrored here

Comment

Alex, you're great!

For me, I hate to approximate things when higher precision is possible.

They do indeed round which I prefer not to do. Strictly speaking, I always prefer to use all the available data and not fudge unless absolutely necessary.

So, for me, because I like the tighter angles, I will use my own version for now.

This isn't to say anything is wrong with yours, merely that I prefer the tighter geometry of mine.

Thanks tons Alex! You’re great!

PS: Got your other message while typing this one and low & behold I uploaded the wrong one, but the one I used in the charts was the correct one. I saw that error way back when and somehow forgot to copy it to my released directory where the errored version was. Likewise, I am sure I uploaded the old version to my forum place as well (also from my release directory)! Thanks tons for spotting that! Who knows what weird stuff it may do! LOL! I will correct my release directory and forum place right away! Version control is so important... can't imagine how I messed it up... musta been tired! LOL!

PPS: This is my place.

http://share.esignal.com/groupconten...es&groupid=655
            Last edited by Tex50; 06-12-2005, 09:46 PM.
            Tex

Comment

Tex
              Thanks and you are most welcome
              Alex

Comment

Working...
              X