This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blau MDI

Could someone please tell me the workings of the Blau MDI indicator that is included in the Blau studies? I'm having trouble understanding what the adjustable parameters actually do.? Once I find out, I want to relabel the "n", "r", etc to terms I actually know.
    I run metastock as well and have created a similar indicator there, but the one that was included(Blau studies) in esignal has me confused. I also don't understand his using "1" as the parameter for "double" smoothing.

Also, I've noticed that I cannot go in and edit the studies library because it is password protected? Is there a password to know? What if I want to change one of the "canned" indicators slightly....shouldn't I be able to do that?

GM

GM
    As explained in this post all the naming conventions for the indicators are those used by William Blau in his book "Momentum, Direction and Divergence". You may want to refer to that for any explanation.
    In the book you will also find that while some of the indicators may use only double smoothing the functions used by those indicators are actually written to allow for triple smoothing. In those cases the length of the third smoothing average is set to 1.
    Alex

Comment

When you say triple smoothing, do you mean signal line?
      What if I don't want to triple smooth it....seems as though 1 is the default? What if I want to add "adjustable signal lines" like a 5 period sma?

I understand how the indicators work. I just don't follow how they work in esignal? As an example the MDI "study" doesn't allow me to make the indicator totally adjustable. Also, highly confusing is the same parameters are used for the MDI as TSI.! They are Different indicators. The MDI should have a way to select your moving average (mean). WHAT DOES THE ESIGNAL FORMULA MENU STAND FOR say for instance on the MDI? IS THE 25/13 DEFAULTS SIMPLY A DOUBLE SMOOTHING (25 ema smoothed by a 13 ema?) If so that's fine, but I'd like to be able to select the length of the underlying "mean".

I.E. I would like to use a different period ROC/or momentum calc than what is offered in esignals "studiesLibrary" for the TSI. As previously asked, I'm prompted for a password when I try to dig into a study? How do I change the way a "study" operates or prompts for info?

thx
      GM

Comment

GM

I would like to use a different period ROC/or momentum calc than what is offered in esignals "studiesLibrary" for the TSI. As previously asked, I'm prompted for a password when I try to dig into a study? How do I change the way a "study" operates or prompts for info?

The functions included in the amBlauStudies function library were written by me (and not by eSignal) and made available to the users of this community as a personal courtesy. The source code for the library however is not available for modification.
        If you wish to create these indicators based on your specific requirements then you will need to write your own.
        To do this you can use the examples provided in Blau's book or existing formulas available either in FileSharing or in the Bulletin Board. If you are unfamiliar with EFS programming then I would suggest that you contact an EFS Consultant and have them write the studies for you.
        For any further explanation on the syntax used in the functions please refer to Blau's book.
        Alex

Comment

Working...
        X