Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• creating indicator with user defined source

I have two related questions:
    1). I'm using two MA's, and I am calculating the difference between the two values. This 'difference' is then made 'global' with 'setGlobalValue('myValue', nDiffValue);'. I would like to now plot that 'difference' in an EMA in it's own pane. Any light you can shed on this would be wonderful.

2). If I DID NOT want to use a 'moving average', but simply plot the raw data in a line, or histogram style indicator, what would be the method to use there?

Thank you
    Jeff
    Last edited by funk101; 12-11-2005, 12:04 PM.

Jeff
    1) If you are not familiar with efs then the easiest solution is to create the indicator as a study on study using the Formula Wizard. To do that you would compute a moving average of the Price Oscillator which is the difference of two averages expressed as a percentage .
    For instructions on how to use the Formula Wizard and for a specific example of a study on study see the Formula Wizard Guide. At the end of the article you will find a link to an example of a study on study.
    2) Again use the Formula Wizard to create a Price Oscillator study. In the Formula Wizard you can then set the plot to be a histogram, line, etc.

If instead you are familiar with programming in efs then see the examples shown in this thread and specifically the one for the Chaikin Oscillator.
    Alex

Comment

Thanks for the post. Yes, I'm a newbie to efs, however, I 'm very familiar with javascript, so I've managed to get the hang of the efs environment. But this eludes me. I just want to pass a value to an ema() function. This value is not related to price. It's a percentage of two values. As soon as I try and plug in this value to an ema(), even after studying the Chaikin Osc post, the line goes flat. What am I missing? I've noticed in other posts that this may be a new feature in eSignal 8. Can't be doen now?

Comment

Jeff
        The ema() function can only use a series as a source and not a value. The series can be either a price series, or another built-in study or a custom series created using the efsExternal() or efsInternal() functions (the latter is used in the Chaikin Oscillator I suggested as an example).
        You say that you want to create an exponential average of a value which is the percentage of two values. What are these two values based on? If you can provide more specific details then it may be easier to direct you to the appropriate solution.
        To answer your last question EFS2 is already available as of version 7.9.
        Alex

Comment

Working...
        X