Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 minute MA on Tick chart

Hi,
    Is it possible to display a moving average calculated on a 5 minute timeframe on a tick chart?
    Thanks in Advance,
    Phil

5 Minute MA on Tick Chart

In general, as long as there is at least 1 tick per m minutes, yes, you can display m Minute MA on t Ticks Tick chart.
    In your (EFS) code, you will have to create your own clock and maintain the total time across ticks.

This is just about as silly as asking whether you can have a camel tow your Rolls Royce.

A much more meaningful and easier solution to implement is to have one study of m Minutes MA super-imposed on t Ticks Tick study.
    eSignal gives you the option of superimposing studies ("stacking").
    Then each of these EFS are extremely simple.

Of course, you can always have two advanced charts - one (showing the m Minutas MA study) and below it a t Ticks chart.

And, I am sure, the expert techies from eSignal could come up with several more ways to skin this cat.

Bey

Comment

Re: 5 Minute MA on Tick Chart

Yes if I could superimpose a 5 minute ma on my 133 tick chart then that would be perfect, so how would I go about doing this ?
      cheers, Phil.

Originally posted by BeyMelamed

A much more meaningful and easier solution to implement is to have one study of m Minutes MA super-imposed on t Ticks Tick study.
      eSignal gives you the option of superimposing studies ("stacking").
      Then each of these EFS are extremely simple.

And, I am sure, the expert techies from eSignal could come up with several more ways to skin this cat.

Bey

Comment

You need to do some coding but it is quite simple and i believe the formula creator in eSignal will suffice.

Option 1 - using non-price panel study for the MA:
        Create a study (EFS file) - that is a non-price panel studies.
        You get this effect by entering the following statement in the Pre_Main section:

setPriceStudy(false);

In that section, also define the line characteristics of line 0 (the only plot you need for this study.)

In the Main section you initialize (once) an MA object for the desired number of bars (this can be set as a parameter if you are a bit more sophisticated in coding)
        Then in the Main section you just return an array with one item - the closing price of the MA study.

Having done (and debugged) this simple EFS, you load this EFS on the same advanced chart where your 133 Ticks price panel is

If you are not able to code this, i am sure one of the experts can assist you.

If i will have a bit more time, i will post it myself

Bey

Comment

right click on chart, Formulas, Custom, customMA.efs might be an easy way

Comment

Thanks for the replies ,
            D Loomis I tried your method first and I had it up and running in 2 minutes.
            Great no coding !! I'm not ready for that yet
            Phill,f

Comment

Working...
            X