Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Snake indicator.

Hi,

I’m new to Esignal. I’d like to get this indicator that I have been using for many years translated to Esignal. I call it Snake, it is a variation of MACD.

This is plotted directly on the price bars like a ma.

(325*cx26-11*27*cx12+13*27*(cx12-cx26)x9)/28

The cx is the exponent moving average of the close. So cx26 is a 26 day EMA. The X9 is a 9 period exponent moving average of what is before it. So (cx12-cx26)x9 is just a 12ema of close – a 26 ema of close, smoothed by a 9ema.

A tentative buy is when the indicator is high, then burrows below price. A tenitive sell/short is when the indicator is low, then burrows above price, hence the name.

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Try this. I'm just practicing programming efs. I'm not an expert so test this out against with whatever uses the original indicator.

I would appreciate it if you posted whether this plots as you intend.

wayne
    Attached Files
    Last edited by waynecd; 05-28-2009, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Snake

Wayne,

Thanks, but that's not it. Could be my fault as I edited the formula to make it look easer. The actual formula is:

((&2-1)*(&1+1)*CX&2-(&1-1)*(&2+1)*CX&1+(&1+1)*(&2+1)*(CX&1-CX&2)X&3)/(2*(&2-&1))

It's basically the same formula I posted before except, &1 = 12, &2 = 26, and & 3 = 9. I just did the math to shorten it. I’ll have another look over the weekend.

Other then that it's the same formula. I tried to attach a chart but it was knocked down for being to big

Thanks,

Steve
      [email protected]

Comment

Steve,

So, CX&2 is the same as Close*26ema etc?

wayne

Comment

snake

Doin this from a backberry.

Cx26 is just a 26 ema of close.

The x Is exponent does not mean multiply

Steve

Comment

Steve,

Then can I assume that "&2' by itself and "CX&2" both equal the 26 ema of close?

If so, the formula should be the same as:

((26ema-1)*(12ema+1)*26ema-(12ema-1)*(26ema+1)*12ema+(12ema+1)*(26ema+1)*(12ema-26ema)*9ema)/(2*(26ema-12ema))

Again assuming that "X&3" = "*9ema". So "...)*(CX&1-CX&2)X&3)/..." is the same as "...)*(12ema-26ema)*9ema)/..."?

If so, it won't plot in the same scale as the underlying stock and can only be plotted in a substudy window and not in the price window.

wayne
            Last edited by waynecd; 05-29-2009, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Snake

Wayne,

Any time you see an &1 it just means 12, anytime you see an &2, it just means 26, anytime you see an &3, just replace it with a 9.

In the program I use, the &1 is a place holder for any number I care to use. It's done so that simply changing one number, I can change all the numbers in a formula at once. For example, if I change the parameter for &2 from 26 to 45, all &2's in the formula now reference 45.

CX&1 just means a 12 day EMA ( of close) probably just like Esignal does it.

Thanks again,

Steve

Comment

Wayne,

The &3 means 9. "X" always means exponent, not multiplication. So (CX&1-CX&2)X&3) means ( 12 day ema - 26 day ema) that result is smoothed to a 9 ema).

Thanks Wayne.

Steve

Comment

Steve,

Try this and let me know if it plots like your other program.

wayne
                  Attached Files

Comment

Wayne,

That's it thanks. Both programs have the indicator cutting through DELL today.

Thanks Again,

Steve

Comment

Steve,

Good to hear.

wayne

Comment

Working...
                      X