Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving average crossover strategy

Hello,

I am new to eSignal, so please accept my apologies if this sounds too simple. I am trying to back test a strategy that is very simple. I don't know where to start. I know nothing about EFS. If someone can please let me know if there is an EFS for this strategy already, that would be apprieciated.
    Regards
    Damien

Entry:
    Long-EMA20 crosses above EMA30.Open on the next bar.
    Short-EMA20 crosses below EMA30. Open on the next bar.

Exit:
    Long- EMA20 crosses below EMA30. Open on the next bar.
    Short-EMA20 crosses above EMA30.Open on the next bar.

Stop loss:
    Long- 50 points below entry price
    Short-50 points above entry price

Moving Averages crossover strategy

The strategy is plenty simple and requires little coding experience.
    Typically, when one decides to create a script (.efs file) for such algorithm the script is written such that one can choose the length of either MA study, its source (close, open, ... , and all other options) and, possibly, express the stop levels in terms of percentages (instead of 'hard-coded' 5o points - as 50 points can apply maybe to some indexes but not to stock with price [say] less than $50).
    The reason for going with such an EFS is to provide all the flexibility that will enable one to use it for index, for wheat, for ER futures, what-have you.
    I am positive that there are hundreds of folks in this forum who could knock such a script off in a short period of time - yours truly included.

Good luck with your trading - simple algorithm are - at times - the best.

Comment

Re: Moving Averages crossover strategy

Thanks Bey. I agree with you about the stop loss. I am hoping someone will be able to point me to a direction where I can find a similar script which I then can modify changing various parameters such as MAs, stop loss sizes etc to fine tune my strategy.

Regards
      Damien
      Originally posted by BeyMelamed
      The strategy is plenty simple and requires little coding experience.
      Typically, when one decides to create a script (.efs file) for such algorithm the script is written such that one can choose the length of either MA study, its source (close, open, ... , and all other options) and, possibly, express the stop levels in terms of percentages (instead of 'hard-coded' 5o points - as 50 points can apply maybe to some indexes but not to stock with price [say] less than $50).
      The reason for going with such an EFS is to provide all the flexibility that will enable one to use it for index, for wheat, for ER futures, what-have you.
      I am positive that there are hundreds of folks in this forum who could knock such a script off in a short period of time - yours truly included.

Good luck with your trading - simple algorithm are - at times - the best.

Comment

Moving average crossover strategy

My point was that any reasonably written script will eliminate the need for you to change the script itself (once the algorithm is captured properly).

The choice over specific parameters for your needs (the value of the parameters) is selected whenever you run the script. Anyone of those thousands of folks who have written an EFS knows exactly how to do this so that YOU DON'T have to change the code, just change the value of one or more parameters to suit your needs at run time.

Comment

Re: Moving average crossover strategy

Thanks. How can I get access to a script which I can use and just adjust the parameters' values when needed?

Originally posted by BeyMelamed
          My point was that any reasonably written script will eliminate the need for you to change the script itself (once the algorithm is captured properly).

The choice over specific parameters for your needs (the value of the parameters) is selected whenever you run the script. Anyone of those thousands of folks who have written an EFS knows exactly how to do this so that YOU DON'T have to change the code, just change the value of one or more parameters to suit your needs at run time.

Comment

Re: Re: Moving average crossover strategy

Are new users left on their own with no assistance available (except a few videos)? There is not much participation on these forums. Also, no help from eSignal at all. It would be appreciated if someone from eSignal assisted me, otherwise what's the point of paying your fees?

Regards
            Damien

Originally posted by Damien28
            Thanks. How can I get access to a script which I can use and just adjust the parameters' values when needed?

Comment

Working...
            X