volume chart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• volume chart

Can someone tell me how to put a 20 day moving average onto a volume chart? There must be a formula for it. thanks.

Re: volume chart

shufl
    If by 20 day you mean 20 periods then you do not need a formula to do that. Just right click the chart select Basic Studies then Moving Average and set the parameters as required.
    If instead you mean a 20 period moving average based on the daily data then you already have installed in your computer a formula that can do that ie customMA.efs which is in the EFS2 Custom fiolder of Formulas. Right clicik the chart select Formulas-> EFS2 Custom then customMA.efs and when you ap[ply it to the chart set the Interval parameter to D or d and the formula will calculate the average based on the daily interval regardless of the interval being charted
    Alex

Originally posted by shufl
    Can someone tell me how to put a 20 day moving average onto a volume chart? There must be a formula for it. thanks.

Comment

thanks. i think it's working. Would you know how to change the color of the new line?

Comment

shufl
        I am assuming that you are referring to the plot of the formula.
        Right click the chart, select Edit Studies, select the MA study in the Studies list then in the Override section put a check mark in the Color and select the desired color using the selector
        Alex

thanks. i think it's working. Would you know how to change the color of the new line?

Comment

So far so good. However, it is only giving a value for the DMA and not drawing a line. The value doesn't change as i roll the mouse over the chart.

Comment

shufl

...it is only giving a value for the DMA and not drawing a line
            If you have Scale Price Data Only enabled you would not see the plot if the value of the average is outside of the range displayed by the chart. If that is the case try disabling Scale Price Data Only. If not then you need to provide a screenshot and details as to how you have set up the formula so that others can try to assist you

The value doesn't change as i roll the mouse over the chart.
            That is the expected behavior with that formula as it is designed to plot [and update] the value of the average based on an external interval across all the corresponding bars on the chart [thereby syncing the plots to the appropriate bars]. You can find a brief explanation of why this is done in this thread.
            Furthermore if you are offsetting the average forward the value would not change on the current bar(s) as the average would be based on completed bars.
            That said keep in mind that because of how that formula is written the offset is relative only to chart interval. If you want to offset the average based on the external interval then you will need to modify the script. If you run a search for offset AND average* you should find some examples on how to do this as the topic has been covered before
            Alex

So far so good. However, it is only giving a value for the DMA and not drawing a line. The value doesn't change as i roll the mouse over the chart.

Comment

I am still having trouble. Attached is a snapshot of my chart. If you can figure out how to put a Daily moving average on I would be most appreciative.
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X