Altering existing pivot point formulas for yearly ones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Altering existing pivot point formulas for yearly ones

I have reviewed posts and replies from Alexis in 2007 that explain how to alter the daily pivot points formulas to create yearly pivot points on a chart. However, the current formulas are different than the ones used as a basis for the posts. The new formulas appear to be shorter than the old ones. Can the new ones be altered more easily or do the old ones shown in the previous post still work. Is the data needed still provided?

I am trying to create yearly pivot point lines and hopefully also yearly S1, S2, S3, R1, R2, R3 and possibly mid-point lines. I assume once a pattern is shown for one S or R line the other formulas can be determined.

This is important to me because I have a system which uses daily charts with w_pivotpoint.efs and m_pivotpointsall.efs.

I want to also use weekly charts with m_pivotpoint.efs and y_pivotpointsall.

Thank you for your help. Mike
    Last edited by mberry; 05-25-2010, 05:39 AM.

Re: Altering existing pivot point formulas for yearly ones

Mike
    To calculate the yearly pivots see the suggestion I provided in this post in response to a similar question
    Alex

Originally posted by mberry
    I have reviewed posts and replies from Alexis in 2007 that explain how to alter the daily pivot points formulas to create yearly pivot points on a chart. However, the current formulas are different than the ones used as a basis for the posts. The new formulas appear to be shorter than the old ones. Can the new ones be altered more easily or do the old ones shown in the previous post still work. Is the data needed still provided?

I am trying to create yearly pivot point lines and hopefully also yearly S1, S2, S3, R1, R2, R3 and possibly mid-point lines. I assume once a pattern is shown for one S or R line the other formulas can be determined.

This is important to me because I have a system which uses daily charts with w_pivotpoint.efs and m_pivotpointsall.efs.

I want to also use weekly charts with m_pivotpoint.efs and y_pivotpointsall.

Thank you for your help. Mike

Comment

Thank you. I will try altering the older formula in your previous post. I assume by your directing me this way the old longer formula will still work in the current version of eSignal.

This will hopefully allow me to have the yearly pivot point line. Is there an older formula for pivotpointsall.efs that I could make a similar change to which would allow me to also add the S1,S2, R1, and R2 lines? Or is there a simple change to be made to the current pivotpointsall.efs that will do the same?

In the current pivotpointsall.efs, w_pivotpointsall, and m_pivotpointsall, the only difference between them is the "isWeekly" and/or "isMonthly" on line 51 and "D", "W", and "M" respectively on lines 55-57. Being naive to EFS I would assume changing these to "Y" would work to change it to work for yearly but it didn't when I tried it.

Thank you again,

Mike
      Last edited by mberry; 05-25-2010, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Mike

I will try altering the older formula in your previous post. I assume by your directing me this way the old longer formula will still work in the current version of eSignal.
        The formula linked to the post I referenced is the only one I wrote that will calculate the yearly pivots [once you make the suggested change] so I am not sure what you mean with "old longer formula".
        To answer your question that formula does work on the current version of eSignal

In the current pivotpointsall.efs, w_pivotpointsall, and m_pivotpointsall, the only difference between them is the "isWeekly" and/or "isMonthly" on line 51 and "D", "W", and "M" respectively on lines 55-57. Being naive to EFS I would assume changing these to "Y" would work to change it to work for yearly.
        Modifying those formulas as you indicate would not work because yearly is not an existing interval in eSignal charts [and consequently in any function that calls an interval]
        Alex

Originally posted by mberry
        Thank you. I will try altering the older formula in your previous post. I assume by your directing me this way the old longer formula will still work in the current version of eSignal.

This will hopefully allow me to have the yearly pivot point line. Is there an older formula for pivotpointsall.efs that I could make a similar change to which would allow me to also add the S1,S2, R1, and R2 lines? Or is there a simple change to be made to the current pivotpointsall.efs that will do the same?

In the current pivotpointsall.efs, w_pivotpointsall, and m_pivotpointsall, the only difference between them is the "isWeekly" and/or "isMonthly" on line 51 and "D", "W", and "M" respectively on lines 55-57. Being naive to EFS I would assume changing these to "Y" would work to change it to work for yearly but it didn't when I tried it.

Thank you again,

Mike

Comment

I attached a pivot calculator that computes daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, semiannual and anual R3, R2, R1, PP, S1, S2 and S3 values.
          It places all values in a table displayed in a lower subchart. The various support and resistance values are searched in the table for confluences of values close to each other. The different confluences are then shaded with similar gray scale. 50dma and 200dma are added to the confluence search field and added to the table. Current price is compared to each level and the price is formatted green or red depending on whether the level is support (below) or resistance (above).

The reason to look for confluent levels is that an annual pivot that coincides with a quarterly R1 for example each contribute to the total support or resistance strength at that price level. The longer the period the greater the strength.

One might look at this efs to see how the quarterly, semiannual and annual support and resistance levels were developed. You might be able to use the approach for other purposes. I had to take great pains to stop the script from running on every tick because the script would stall your machine. So it computes the table and then stops computing the table when it is finished. Multi-time frame scripts can be a resource hog so keep that in mind.

It is a large script with many-many calendar exceptions incorporated which could make it difficult to decipher. eSignal for example doesn't know it is monday until the monday morning opening bell. This makes it necessary when a year end or quarter end happens on a weekend to work around these situations. These problems come up because eSignal does not support quotes longer than monthly intervals.

The script does not draw lines on a chart, there would be too many.

script is attached...
          Attached Files
          ....Mike

Comment

Working...
          X