EFS for ATR based Bollinger bands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EFS for ATR based Bollinger bands

Can someone please help write EFS to plot this custom but very simple ATR based bollinger band concept.

Here is the logic structure of the plotting program
    Variables
    MA= ExponentialMovAvg (Close, 21 period)
    ATR = ExponentialAvgerage(ATR,8) //8 period Wilders Avergae True Range

The study should plot following 7 lines.
    UpperBand3= MA + 3*ATR;
    UpperBand2 = MA + 2*ATR;
    UpperBandl = MA+ 1.5*ATR;
    Moving Average (MA);
    LowerBandl = MA - 1.5*ATR;
    LowerBand2 = MA - 2.62*ATR;
    LowerBand3 = MA - 3.23*ATR;

If any similar EFS or study already exist please point me to it, and I'll attempt to modify the code to suit my requirement.

Many thanks in advance for your help !!

Re: EFS for ATR based Bollinger bands

utrader1
    Try searching the forums for Keltner (which is essentially what you described) and you will find many formulas with a variety of alternatives that calculate this study and that you can use as a base for your script
    Alex

Originally posted by utrader1
    Can someone please help write EFS to plot this custom but very simple ATR based bollinger band concept.

Here is the logic structure of the plotting program
    Variables
    MA= ExponentialMovAvg (Close, 21 period)
    ATR = ExponentialAvgerage(ATR,8) //8 period Wilders Avergae True Range

The study should plot following 7 lines.
    UpperBand3= MA + 3*ATR;
    UpperBand2 = MA + 2*ATR;
    UpperBandl = MA+ 1.5*ATR;
    Moving Average (MA);
    LowerBandl = MA - 1.5*ATR;
    LowerBand2 = MA - 2.62*ATR;
    LowerBand3 = MA - 3.23*ATR;

If any similar EFS or study already exist please point me to it, and I'll attempt to modify the code to suit my requirement.

Many thanks in advance for your help !!

Comment

Thanks for your input and quick response, Alex !

I'll look into the Ketler channels.

I am not a programmer, but could possibly use the EFS formula wizard. Can the math expressions be built using the formula wizard ?

Thanks,

Comment

utrader1
        The expressions can be written using the Formula Wizard in this case. You need to insert them in the Returned Data Points making sure that each expression is entirely enclosed in parenthesis else the Formula Wizard's syntax checker will modify them as it would interpret it as a syntax error (see this thread for an example of what I am suggesting)
        Alex

Thanks for your input and quick response, Alex !

I'll look into the Ketler channels.

I am not a programmer, but could possibly use the EFS formula wizard. Can the math expressions be built using the formula wizard ?

Thanks,

Comment

Thanks, Alexis ! that link to the sample expression was helpful. I was able to write the EFS for my study except for one little help I need further from you.

As to ATR (8 period), the general variable available in the EFS formula wizard I guess gets the simple moving average of lets say 8 period ATR. How do I get a 8 period exponential average of a 8 period ATR in variable.

I have two examples that I have tried so far, but not sure if it is correct.

vATR8.getValue(ATRStudy.ATR)

vEMA8_of_vATR8.getValue(MAStudy.MA)

Thanks,
          Utrader

Comment

utrader1

As to ATR (8 period), the general variable available in the EFS formula wizard I guess gets the simple moving average...
            No it does not. The ATR function uses Wilder's smoothing [which is akin to an exponential average] to calculate the average
            As to calculating a study on study using the Formula Wizard see the example shown in the Formula Wizard Guide which is in the Help Guides and Tutorials folder of the EFS KnowledgeBase
            Alex

Thanks, Alexis ! that link to the sample expression was helpful. I was able to write the EFS for my study except for one little help I need further from you.

As to ATR (8 period), the general variable available in the EFS formula wizard I guess gets the simple moving average of lets say 8 period ATR. How do I get a 8 period exponential average of a 8 period ATR in variable.

I have two examples that I have tried so far, but not sure if it is correct.

vATR8.getValue(ATRStudy.ATR)

vEMA8_of_vATR8.getValue(MAStudy.MA)

Thanks,
            Utrader

Comment

Working...
            X