This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working with PnF charts using efs

I am new to esignal and therefore efs. I would like to develop some stratigies using Point & Figure charts; however, I am unsure of how to manipulate them in efs.

As a simple example, lets say that I want to buy on an upside breakout where my current column of 'X' is one 'X' above my last column of 'X'.

How would you utilize efs to identify that? I think I am getting stuck on how to identify if the "bar" I am working with represents a column of 'X' or a column of 'O'.

Formula Requests

Hello rdmerrio,

If you would like eSignal to create an efs file for you, please go to esignalcentral.com, click on Product Training, select eSignal from the drop-down list and then click on submit a formula request on the left side of the page. Or use the link below:

http://www.esignal.com/regform/studyrequest.asp

Please give us a detailed description of your request.

Thank You,
    Jason K.
    Project Manager
    eSignal - an Interactive Data company

EFS KnowledgeBase
    JavaScript for EFS Video Series
    EFS Beginner Tutorial Series
    EFS Glossary
    Custom EFS Development Policy

New User Orientation

Comment

I have tried a couple of times to submit this as suggested; however, the system keeps rejecting it; nonetheless, this is what I would like to see.

I would like an example of manipulating PnF charts in efs.

I would like to see how to recognize an X bar and an O bar for purposes of buy and sell signals.

For example, when an X bar is one X above a previous X bar -- buy.

Correspondingly, when an O bar is one O below a previous O bar -- sell.

....X <-- Buy here
      X..XO
      XOXO
      XO..O
      ......O <-- Sell here.

Comment

Hello rdmerrio,

There was a problem with our mailbox for the formula requests. It is now fixed. All requests can now be submitted properly. Please submit your request now so that it can be distributed properly.

Thanks,
        Jason K.
        Project Manager

EFS KnowledgeBase
        EFS Glossary

New User Orientation

Comment

Point and figure EFS

I have been wading through th eEFS library and bulletin board looking for any scripts dealing with PNF reversals for back testing. So far no good. Are you aware of any scripts that cover this?

Thanks

Comment

Hello greffel,

Using the search feature and this search phrase, PNF AND reversal, produced several results. You can find a PNF reversal formula in this thread. However, I didn't find one specifically coded for back testing.
            Jason K.
            Project Manager

EFS KnowledgeBase
            EFS Glossary

New User Orientation

Comment

Jason
              Thanks for the note. Yes I had found that one too. It is somewhat short of something that I would be capable of modifying......

This question has been raised a number of times over the last couple of years I note - is this something that could be requested? A basic piece of code that that enables PNF backtesting doesn't sound beyond the wit of man unless like me you have never written a line of code in your life.....

Regards

Comment

Hello greffel,

Formula development is in high demand and there are many like you who need development assistance. For more information on custom formula development, please review the following post.

How can I get my custom study built?
                Jason K.
                Project Manager

EFS KnowledgeBase
                EFS Glossary

New User Orientation

Comment

Point and figure back testing

This might be painful.

I have looked at all the resources available and decided it cannot be beyond the wit of man to get this code written. The wizard is pretty good as it simplifies things considerably. After five minutes I was backtesting basic PNF charts - not bad for a guy who has never written code in his life. I now need to investigate how to set variables such as the last high in a point and figure chart. Can you point me at the idiots guide to coding? It may not be an esignal resource but I am sure you know of something useful that would get me started.

Fortunately my motto is "if at first you fail give up and pay someone else to do it" but i am willing to have a crack.

Comment

greffel
                    I don't know which resources you have been looking at but in case you have not see these you may want to go over the Guide to developing eSignal Indicators and the Guide to developing eSignal Strategies available in the EFS KnowledgeBase.
                    As to other resources I know that Jason usually recommends JavaScript The Definitive Guide by David Flanagan 4th edition published by O'Reilly
                    Also if you have questions about your efs post them here and someone will be available to help
                    Alex

Comment

Working...
                    X