controlling the z-order of stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• controlling the z-order of stuff

1) Changing the background color of a bar (setBarBgColor) causes the background of that bar to draw on top of lines drawn with the drawLine function.

Q) Is there a way to get around this?
    Q) If not, when will it be fixed? (Give us a switch so we can choose what goes on top. Or add flags to the drawLine function, like drawShape and drawText.)

2) Changing the background color of a bar causes the background of that bar to draw on top of the grid lines.

Q) Is there a way to get around this?
    Q) If not, when will it be fixed? (Give us a switch so we can choose what goes on top.)

3) Are there any help resources that address z-order control in a comprehensive way?
    Last edited by pflash50; 08-29-2004, 12:44 PM.

Hello pflash50,

1) Not currently. This problem has been reported before. I will forward another request to fix this. You can do the same by sending a suggestion to [email protected].

2) This is related to the same problem and there is not currently a work around for this.

3) We also do not have control over z-order for drawn objects. This is a separate issue that has also been suggested before. I'll forward another request for this ability as well.
    Jason K.
    Project Manager
    eSignal - an Interactive Data company

EFS KnowledgeBase
    JavaScript for EFS Video Series
    EFS Beginner Tutorial Series
    EFS Glossary
    Custom EFS Development Policy

New User Orientation

Comment

possible workarounds for chart merging, etc

There is no definitive way of controlling this, but there are some "workarounds" which may at least help solve part of your problems. I often have z-order issues as well, and can usually work around them.

Also, if it's your code, you can try operations in different orders which may have an impact upon drawing z-order.

For merging charts, you may consider writing separate studies, not price studies, but those which display in separate panes, provided this suits your purpose.

Then, by using SHIFT drag 'n drop, you can combine the charts in various ways. From casual experience, I have found that if A merged onto B doesn't give the desired result, sometimes B dropped on A will work... Once it works, and the chart is saved, it tends to continue to work.

You may drop a study on a pane, and find that it disappears. Actually it's output is obscured by z-order issues such as you are discussing. In that case, merging to form the composite chart in a different merge order can sometimes work fine.

Now, this is only an anecdotal workaround, but I often merge charts in this way and can achieve a desired effect, depending upon the order of chart merging. Unmerge to start over again.

Hope this helps at least some !!

Comment

pflash50: You can work around the line drawing problems somewhat by using the addLineTool(LineTool.SEGMENT..... function. You also need to set the chart properties 'Draw Lines On Top of Price' (right click chart...properties). This works except that the color is inverted (e.g. red line drawn on green shows up yellow)

Bernei

Comment

Working...
        X