This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tricking multiple time frames

I had contacted Metastock support a while ago about tricking an indicator such as RSI to show a higher time frame plot from a lower time frame base study. For example, from a 15 min base chart plotting the 60 min RSI onto the chart. They suggested writing a code where the values are calculated by a multiple of 4 (15 min * 4 = 60 min). I'm not sure that is the solution. Can someone write a script where the simulated 60 min RSI is plotted on the 15 min chart? The value to this is of course, reducing multiple adv charts of the same ticker on various time frames, which allows us to chart more tickers or freeing up more monitor real estate.

I just want to see if this can be done in java. If so, it opens up a bunch of other studies to "trick".

Thanks,

chris...

Hi,

For example, from a 15 min base chart plotting the 60 min RSI onto the chart. They suggested writing a code where the values are calculated by a multiple of 4 (15 min * 4 = 60 min). I'm not sure that is the solution.
    No, this isn't a solution, in fact it was kind of a stupid answser.

Here is the thing with eSignal. This is possible now, but it is really not easy, in fact multiple time frames is one of the harder things to do in EFS. However, they are working on a new way to handle such things, which promises to be much simpler. I'm not sure of the ETA, but I would hold off until the new methods are available.

G
    Garth

Comment

Studies in Multiple timeframe

I am using multiple time frames in my code by running different time frame charts simultaniously with unique code in each time frame. I then share the information with global variables. Isn't this the way to go? I have included the link below

See Link

Comment

Well,
        Its been over a year.
        Is there anything yet?

Comment

it can be done in EFS...

but as Garth said, it is a bit tricky...

You have to build an array of your finished time-frame price data to be used to manually calculate the RSI indicator...

Plus, there is another issue to contend with. the 15 min chart will present new bars 4 times in a 60 min span whereas the 60 min chart - only once.. So you might have to set your efs to calculate this RSI indicator every 4 bars (or however you decide to deliminate the actions of your file).

B
          Brad Matheny
          eSignal Solution Provider since 2000

Comment

Working...
          X