Creating a Custom Index with EFS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating a Custom Index with EFS

I am new to EFS studies and am trying to find a way to chart a custom index that I have created. Currently I create the value in MS Excel but want to be able to write and EFS and plot it in eSignal. I read a post from Alexis Montenegro that said EFS only allows up to 5 symbols (I think) to be processed by an EFS Indicator. Is this true?

My custom index is composed of 10 stocks and I also use their shares outstanding to create a market cap for each one so I can weight it properly. Can anyone provide me with any help on this or answer whether it can be done using EFS?

Thanks!
    Trevor
    www.marketdelta.com

Trevor
    The symbol limit in EFS is now at 7 (up from 5)
    Having said that you may be able to plot the index directly as a symbol. For more information on creating composite symbols, spreads, etc see this article in the eSignal KnowledgeBase
    Alex

Comment

Alexis,
      Thanks for the very quick reply. I realize I could do what you suggested and may have to resort to doing it that way. However, do you think I could also just create a function for each symbol I have and then call all those functions in the EFS I am trying to create or does the symbol limit still prohibit this way also?

Example:
      (stock price 1 * shares outstanding) = Function1
      (stock price 2 * shares outstanding) = Function2
      (stock price 3 * shares outstanding) = Function3
      (stock price 4 * shares outstanding) = Function4
      etc.
      etc.

EFS = Function1 + Funtion2.......

Thanks!
      Trevor
      www.marketdelta.com

Comment

Trevor
        I am not positive but I think you will hit the symbol limit even when using separate functions whether internal or external. You may want to have Jason or someone else from eSignal confirm this though.
        Alex

Comment

Alex is correct.
          Jason K.
          Project Manager
          eSignal - an Interactive Data company

EFS KnowledgeBase
          JavaScript for EFS Video Series
          EFS Beginner Tutorial Series
          EFS Glossary
          Custom EFS Development Policy

New User Orientation

Comment

So even if I use callFunction() within my EFS and fetch the symbols in the other (called) EFS I'm not going to get around the symbol limit?

Is that because a "called" EFS is treated as part of the EFS that calls it?

Is it possible to spawn another EFS with the symbol as a parameter? i.e. is there a way (a function) to invoke the right click Formulas -> myEFS.efs menu sequence? And then do the opposite of unloading the EFS?
            Standing on the shoulders of giants.

Comment

wildfiction
              That is correct. The called efs is loaded as part of the efs that is calling it.
              As to your second question I don't believe there is a way to do that
              Alex

Comment

Working...
              X