Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serious Bug/Corruption in Formula Studies

SERIOUS BUG/CORRUPTION IN FORMULA STUDIES

Hi, I'd appreciate any assistance with the following - also if anyone has encountered the same problem:

1) A bug/corruption has occured where a Symbol (S)/ Interval (I) or Symbol/Interval (SI) - (as found in the Favourites Bar) - will be placed beside a study title in one of my Formulas Studies folders : for example

Formula Studies: Wizard Folder : (I) Gravity.efs
    (SI) MassIndex.efs
    (S) RMI.efs
    ......etc
    ...this means that if i go to open one of the studies above, instead of the study being opened on an advanced chart - the symbol (S) of the chart will be changed / or the symbol and interval (SI) of the chart / or the interval (I)..etc. Thus the study cannot be opened at all.

2) The corruption will start at the lowest study and work its way up through the folders contained in Formula Studies eg - Wizard is the lowest (alphabetical) folder, and it starts to work its way up from the lowest files in this folder.

3) Every time I create and save a new study - it will corrupt 'another' study at the same time (eg - if 15 .efs files were corrupted before, if i create and save a new .efs file, 16 will now have been corrupted).

4) The only place i can consider the bug to have originated is from downloading files from
    File Share (rather than from files created within eSignal itself). I had this exact same problem before christmas and had to uninstall eSignal to try and remove the problem. I had my Hard Drive totally reformatted in January, and i installed the latest version of eSignal (7.2 Build 544 - 1/27/2003) - the formula studies worked fine until i downloaded some files from file share (TSSupport site) a few of weeks ago, and then the corruption started happening again soon after.

Thanks.
    Paul Turley.

Hi,

Do you have a ton of studies (or other files) in your formula directory? Are these odd symbols only in front of the formula's that appear later in the list of formula's? If so, try moving/removing some of files under formula.

There is a limit (it escapes my mind now) on the number of "file slots" eSignal has for this directory. Once exceeded it prints little S and I in a small circle in front of the file names of the files over the limit and odd behavoir will be seen from these when loaded.

eSignal know about this and has increased this number for the next release, and I believe they have also added a real error message for this condition.

Matt was amazed that someone actually would have THAT many formula's when I ran into this...but he knew what the issue was right away.
    Garth

Comment

OK, added info:

The "slot" linit is 400.
      If you use Windows Explorer (not IE, but the file manager in windows) you can work your way down to the directory with formula in it (typically C:/Program Files/eSignal) and right click on the formula directory and select properties. This will list the number of files. If over 400...then this is your problem.

As an extra bonus...I found out that SLML.new which might be scattered all over the directories can be deleted freely. That should get rid of some of the entries.
      Garth

Comment

Hi Garth - thanks a lot for your reply.

Yes, i do have a 'serious amount' of Formula Studies that i've created myself (i do a lot of strategy testing), and your advice makes a a lot of sense - firstly when the symbols are being added every time i create a new study - and secondly - when i go to TSSupport and download a load more!

That really puts my mind at rest - its scary when you've spent weeks working on Formulas and then you think theres a bug which can render them useless.

What i'll do is back up the Formulas folder, and then cut down on the number of studies in it.

Many Thanks,
        Paul.

Comment

Hi Garth,

You were spot on - i had 444 files in my Formula Studies folder.
          I cut this down to 394 and everything was working fine again in eSignal.
          Thanks,
          Paul

Comment

Working...
          X