EFS Parsing Surprise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EFS Parsing Surprise

I've been having some challenges with EFS / eSignal. In short, I'm a little concerned about the quality/maturity of the technology. I'd LOVE it too work flawlessly. I really feel it has incredible potential.

Perhaps I'm missing something; but, I was very surprised when neither the syntax checker, nor the advanced chart error caught the following syntax error when parsing an if statement:

if (20 > 10 (10 != 3) ) {
    debugPrint("error here\n");
    }

/*
    // SYNTACTICALLY CORRECT EXAMPLE
    if (20 > 10 && (10 != 3) ) {
    debugPrint("expected\n");
    }
    */

This is a simplified version of something that I found nestled in a more complex strategy that was ultimately skewing my numbers.

Can any one else confirm this issue? What is the proper channel for feeding bugs/issues back to the development team? Anyone know how I can learn more about the product's release schedule... etc.

Attached is a simple EFS file to test the above issue with...

Thanks,

M
    Attached Files

Hm, interesting. We are using the JavaScript engine developed by Netscape (now maintained by the Mozilla Organization).

I'll check over this, and perhaps submit this to them to have a look at as well.

Thanks!

Comment

Okay. More info. By ECMA Javascript standards, this type of error is only a run-time error, and not compile time. That's why the syntax checker did not catch it.

Now, the reason why the Advanced Chart did not catch it at run-time is because of the nature of the error. The JavaScript engine parses this out and attempts to treat the first 10(....) as a function. The error is then a function not found.

However, in EFS we disable function not found errors due to the number of optional functions that users can define in EFS (ie, mouseUp/down, broker callbacks, button callbacks, URL clicks, etc...). I'll look into what we can do to improve things in this area.

The next version out is 7.9 and contains a number of EFS features (we're calling it EFS2) that make life much easier for multiple time frame analysis, reuse of code and simplified drawText/Shape functions. It is the first stage of a number of enhancements to fall under the EFS2 banner. A date has not yet been announced for this version, but it is currently undergoing alpha testing with some EFS2 programmers.

Comment

Working...
      X