Scaling two indicators in a merged pane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scaling two indicators in a merged pane

Can you tell me how two indicators are scaled in a merged pane when their ranges vary drastically. For example, if I put MACD and Stochastic in the same pane (merged) and then edit both so that NO scaling is used, I can see both indicators in full. They have to be scaled to something for this to work. My question is, what? Furthermore, if I turn scaling on in one of the indicators but not the other I get a different "picture", again, what is being used to determine the scaling?

Thanks, Carl Opel

Hello Carl,

If the "No Scale" option is selected for a study it scales to the max and min values of itself and no scale values will appear on the chart's left or right axis for that study. If you select display right or left then only the values of the study will appear on the chart's left or right axis. If you select scale right and display right, you'll get scale values and the study values on the right axis. If you have other merged studies set to scale right also, then they are forced to share the same scale, which would squash the MACD down near the zero line. Does this help?
    Jason K.
    Project Manager
    eSignal - an Interactive Data company

EFS KnowledgeBase
    JavaScript for EFS Video Series
    EFS Beginner Tutorial Series
    EFS Glossary
    Custom EFS Development Policy

New User Orientation

Comment

Hey Carl,

To expand on Jason's answer, if within the timeframe and window width you are looking at, the highest Stochastic value was 82 and the lowest was 16, then with No Scale, the stochastic curve would stretch so 82 was at the top and 16 was at the bottom.

If the 82 high was on the left side and the next highest stochastic high within the visible window was 52, then when 82 scrolled off the left edge, the stochastic curves would stretch from 16 on the bottom, to 52 on the top.

Whether you have one or two indicators in the study pane, if set to No Scale, they will both stretch to fill the window as much as their respective highs/lows will allow.

I like to see MACD curves and the MACD Histogram in one window. But although one MACD study can show both, the histogram often gets shrunk to look like a zero line. So I overlay one MACD study with curves only and a separate MACD study with histogram only, both set to No Scale, so the curves and histo bars will fill the window.

Hope that helps
      shaeffer

Comment

Shaeffer,

Do you have a MACD efs that only displays the histogram? I want to overlay four MACD histos and have them lineup on the same zero line. The four histos will have different parameters and colors. I think not scaling will allow the 4 histos to lineup on the same zero line.

Comment

wayles99
          FWIW with the Formula Wizard you can easily create an efs that will compute a MACD and plot only its histogram. For instructions on how to use the Formula Wizard see this guide in the EFS KnowledgeBase.
          Alex

Comment

Originally posted by wayles99
            Shaeffer,

Do you have a MACD efs that only displays the histogram? I want to overlay four MACD histos and have them lineup on the same zero line. The four histos will have different parameters and colors. I think not scaling will allow the 4 histos to lineup on the same zero line.
            Wayles,

If you select MACD from the Basic Studies and click the Histogram and Overlay boxes, with Scale Right, you will get only the MACD histogram (no curves). I don't think an efs is needed (though I don't know if there might be an advantage to doing it with efs's). If you do this 4 times with the respective colors and settings and drag them into the same study pane, they will all line up on the zero line.

You'll want to drag them together in the order of which studies are faster and slower, to get most of the different studies (colors) visible.

Good luck
            shaeffer

Comment

Working...
            X