Entitlement Snag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entitlement Snag

I have created several efs files that use the addEntitlement instruction.

We have three computers in different locations running this code. All three have been running fine for weeks.

Today, two of the three get the "Access Denied" message from the entitlement code and one is running fine.

How can this be???

The remote subscriber file that is referenced in the entitlement code is in place and correct. All three computers are running the same efs file.

Sometimes the failing computers can display some of the "entitled" files while other times none of them work. I know this sounds like there is some problem accessing the remote subscriber text file, but one of the computers is showing no problems.

What might be causing this?

Hello ronblack,

Just letting you know I'm looking to this. For starters can you verify a few basics for me. Let's make sure we've looked at all the simple stuff first.

1. Are the user names that the 3 pcs are using exist in the text file referenced in your addEntitlment() function?

2. Where in your code is the addEntitlment() function located? Is it the first line of code in the file or in your preMain() function?

3. Are you certain that all three pcs are using the same EFS file?
    Jason K.
    Project Manager
    eSignal - an Interactive Data company

EFS KnowledgeBase
    JavaScript for EFS Video Series
    EFS Beginner Tutorial Series
    EFS Glossary
    Custom EFS Development Policy

New User Orientation

Comment

JasonK,

Thank you for your interest. Here are the answers to your questions:

1. Are the user names that the 3 pcs are using exist in the text file referenced in your addEntitlment() function?

Yes, all three names are in the text file. I have tried changing the order of the names in the file, since the one pc that is working has the name listed first in the file, but making the change made no difference.

2. Where in your code is the addEntitlment() function located? Is it the first line of code in the file or in your preMain() function?

Good question. The addEntitlement instruction is the first instruction in the preMain() function.

3. Are you certain that all three pcs are using the same EFS file?

Yes, I am certain. They were all downloaded from the same original file, and I had the other two users open the efs with the editor and read me the addEntitlement line of code.

Addtional Info: Later in the day, one fellow tried the efs and it worked fine. Then, even later, it would not work again on the same pc. It has worked fine for me all day.

Wierd.

Ron

Comment

Hello Ron,

This is a tuff one. The fact that one of your users is getting properly entitled sometimes leads me to believe it could be an internet connectivity problem between that user and the location of the user names text file. Are you in the same location as the other users? The entitlement is only checked at the initial load of the formula. What exactly is the the user seeing who says it stops working later in the day? Post a chart image if can. The only way I'm aware of for a formula to be forced to check the entitlement again is by shutting down eSignal and restarting or by reloading the formula. Do you know if the user had performed either of these steps in between the time it was working and not working?

Have you tried moving the addEntitlment() function to the top line of the formula? It should work from preMain as well, but please test this just to make sure if you wouldn't mind.

Is your user names text file located on our file share servers or some other location?
        Jason K.
        Project Manager

EFS KnowledgeBase
        EFS Glossary

New User Orientation

Comment

The Solution!!

Jason,

Thank you very much for your continued support on this question. As you mentioned, internet connnectivity did seem to be a likely cause, but, alas, the true cause was more mundane.

The missing front slash!

My failing instruction said:
          addEntitlement( "http://www.turnsignal.biz/sublist.txt"...

when it should have said:
          addEntitlement( "http://www.turnsignal.biz//sublist.txt"...

When we added the second front slash in the address, voila! All ills were cured.

I won't even ask why it needs to be written that way.

Thanks for the continued support,

Ron Black

Comment

Hello Ron,

Great to hear you found a solution and thanks for sharing. I'll add a note on this for future users.
            Jason K.
            Project Manager

EFS KnowledgeBase
            EFS Glossary

New User Orientation

Comment

Working...
            X