• Show
Clear All

• MA on a Renko Source HL/2, curious "moving"

Hi to all,

I use a Renko Chart for e-mini S&P

The settings are:
    3Min, Source Hi Low/2, Box Size 0.5

the signal is a Simple MA last 5 offset 3, the system is to change
    position in every signal and being always in the market.

In the Backtest I get very good results (with 50$ Slippage/Trade)

But now I have a big problem!
    The MA changes his position when new boxes appear on the renko, I mean the line "moves" and leave his old positions in the past!

When I reload the MA then the position is ok.

It happens not only on my formula, even on the normal included e-signal MA.

I don´t understand why, and how to solve!

The screenshot explain what I mean, the two lines was on the same position, after the new boxes appear the two line was on the position of the red line, after a reload you see this picture, the blue line is on the reloaded position which is ok and the red line without reload still in the wrong position!

Is it a bug in e-signal, or did I understand something wrong???

Thanks a lot for help, and try the system I think it is very profitabel on the e-mini and very very profitabel on the Dax Future!

Yours
    Peter
    Attached Files

MAs

I'm running a similar setup to what you are using and have not noticed any problems. Yes, the MA's change with the creation of a new bar - but the previous MA values remain the same (as far as I can tell).

Please provide more information so I can try to help...

Brad
    Brad Matheny
    eSignal Solution Provider since 2000

Comment

HL/2!!!

Hi Brad,

it only happens if you use High Low/2 as Price Source for the Renko Chart.

What do you want to know or need for information else ?

Best would be that you try it for yourself with the same
      settings as on the picture.

What do you use for settings ?

A actual sample from now!!! ( 22:05 German Time)

I have testet now the builtin MA, without an "offset" setting, the same happens!

The MA crosses on 875,75 the last box is on 869,25
      "some minutes later"
      two new boxes appear the price is on 868,25
      And now the MA crosses on 875,25, 0,50 forward !

Do you understand this ? How can I avoid this?

It would be great if you can help.

Yours
      Peter

Comment

Re: I will check it out..

I have this problem with Renko charts also. I'm running a 1 min update using "Close". I had not noticed it with just the line present, but I definitely see it with color bars added to the chart. I had reported this on another thread.

http://forum.esignal.com/showthread....=5209#post5209

Comment

Thank you Dan!

I´ve read this thread and it seems that it is obviously a bug in e-signal, I contacted them last week unfortunately without reply until now, it seems that "whizz" have had the same problem then me!

Let´s hope somebody will find what helps.

Peter

Comment

again to examples

One picture (Snapshot2) like it should be, the other without reloading for this afternoon!
            Attached Files

Comment

Snapshot 2

like it should be
              Attached Files

Comment

I saw the same phenomena you saw with the ma, but I am not so sure which chart is the correct one. I tend to think the one with the squiggly line is the right depiction.

I say this because the data used to construct the second chart you posted is based on the bricks in that chart - but remember one than one brick can be drawn at a time - depending on the prices of the most recent bar. If I look at the Cursor window prices, sometimes I see <none> on the squiggly line because there was more than one brick drawn and no corresponding ma was caluculated for the 'middle' bars.

Then when you 'reload' the chart, the ma recalculates on the individual bricks - which to me seems incorrect.

Probably just confused things more, but that's my idea right now.

Comment

I'm not sure I totally follow your reasoning on this, but I disagree with it anyway

A Renko chart is what it is. It is not an interval chart. It is a price based chart that creates a brick for each price increment and spreads those bricks horizontally so there is only one brick per column. We all agree on that, I think. A simple moving average of those bricks should always become a straight line running below an uptrend or above a downtrend once a sufficient number of one way trend bricks are in place.

In mkm's case that number is 5. The SMA of 5 consecutive red bars, or green bars, should be the middle of the middle bar. Every bar in a steady trend should have a moving average in the center of the bar two bars below (uptrend) or two bars above (downtrend). Since the average is displaced by 3 bars, the SMA line should be 5 bars to the right of the center of each “trending” bar on the chart. That's where his blue line is in all cases.

Originally posted by dloomis
                  I saw the same phenomena you saw with the ma, but I am not so sure which chart is the correct one. I tend to think the one with the squiggly line is the right depiction.

Comment

May be that´s it!!!!

If the price goes faster then the renko draws one chart, (mostly)
                    the line of the MA is calculated not on each bar, even on the HighLow/2 on 2,3 or more bar´s, well ok!

But how to fix? How can I tell the renko to calculate on every bar?

Peter

Comment

Re: May be that´s it!!!!

It's not clear to me what you are asking. From my point of view, a bar on a Renko chart is one "brick" regardless of how long the time is between bricks. I want to see the MA calculated when, and only when a new brick is created, and I believe that is what the system is doing when it is working properly. For some time periodic updates (3 min for your case), several bricks are created, while none are created in other update periods. The chart should be taking "time" out of the picture, and out of the corresponding MAs, responding only to price movement.

Originally posted by mkm
                      If the price goes faster then the renko draws one chart, (mostly)
                      the line of the MA is calculated not on each bar, even on the HighLow/2 on 2,3 or more bar´s, well ok!

But how to fix? How can I tell the renko to calculate on every bar?

Peter

Comment

Yes of course, but the system is not doing this. In regard of calculating and drawing the MA. ( And also several other studies)

The renko should take out the time and show only the MA calculated on the shown bricks. On my settings the MA should be calculated on every of this bricks HighLow/2. It should be no matter if there is drawn one or more bricks, after it is time for drawing them. I only want to see where is my MA when the new bricks are drawn. But the MA shouldn´t be changed in his position on the old bricks.

Meanwhile I´m sure this depands on a bug!

Something is going wrong in the second when new bricks are drawn, and it is perhaps because the variables in the HighLow/2 calculation are not cleared or someway added to old data.

I hope someone could explain it and find a solution!

Comment

Try adding this efs file to your chart and see if the ma's look ok
                          Last edited by dloomis; 03-30-2003, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Side note to the formula posted by David Loomis.
                            To ensure that the ReloadEFS() command runs properly you may have to use the current beta version.
                            Alex
                            Last edited by ACM; 03-30-2003, 11:55 AM.

Comment

what do you mean with "current beta version" I use 7.2 ???

Are you sure the file this not a "switch off" file :-)

when I load the file in the chart, complete e-signal is off??

Comment

Working...
                              X