How can I learn Javasript?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I learn Javasript?

I am basically a programming newbie. I can flow chart and do problem solving, but I'm having a bit of a time learning the form/commands/syntax of javascript.

There are lots of interesting things here I can look at and take apart, but it's mostly just through cut and try and guessing that I figure stuff out. All the books I've found are oriented toward web page programming.

How does a person with a fully functioning brain learn this stuff in an efficient manner? Pardon my frustration, but as good as the eSiganl folks are, the stuff written to support EFS is wholy inadequate. There are inconsistancies in the help files. No where is there a simple, detailed explanation of the form that code needs to take.

Any suggestions or comments, specific or general appreciated by this frustrated camper.

I think you are on the right track - at least that is the one I took. I couldnt even spell javascript when I started.

This help section might be useful for refering to the specific commands available in esignal's js.

Also, I read the JavaSript book by O'Reilly and got thru about half of it before I got a basic understanding of js. You are right, most of the stuff is written for web pages but this book had some programming ideas as well.
    Attached Files

Comment

RE: Reply to post 'How can I learn Javasript?'

thx dloomis, sometimes it just feels good to whine (wine?)LOL. I'll check
      out that book.

-----Original Message-----
      Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 6:06 PM
      To: [email protected]
      Subject: Reply to post 'How can I learn Javasript?'

Hello coolmoss,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Hello coolmoss,

eSignal Formula Script (EFS) is an extended version of JavaScript 1.5. Here are a couple more resources that will cover the core functions etc. of version 1.5.

Core JavaScript Guide 1.5 - This guide from http://devedge.netscape.com covers all the specific details to begin learning about core JavaScript 1.5.
        Core JavaScript Reference 1.5

A complete list of our specific EFS extensions can be found in our new EFS Help Center & Library.
        Jason K.
        Project Manager
        eSignal - an Interactive Data company

EFS KnowledgeBase
        JavaScript for EFS Video Series
        EFS Beginner Tutorial Series
        EFS Glossary
        Custom EFS Development Policy

New User Orientation

Comment

Thx Jason, I'm sure this will help.

Comment