Moving average of an oscillator...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving average of an oscillator...

I am trying to find a way to create a moving average (simple 16) of my oscillator...does anyone have any idea how I might be able to do this? Thanks for your help.

Coley

Coley
    Unless the oscillator you are referring to is a custom oscillator then you can use the MACD study in which the Signal line is the moving average of the price oscillator (ie the MACD line).
    Alex

Comment

Coley
      If OTOH you are using a custom oscillator and you have version 7.9 installed then you can use the efs(), efsExternal (only with 7.9.1) or efsInternal() functions to easily create a series that can be used as an input for a moving average. For more information on these functions see this thread
      Alex

Comment

moving average...continued...

here is what I am trying to do...(used to have this on CQG and it was not bad) To have the price oscillator in a line representation with a moving average (simple 16) of the oscillator. Then I am trying to color code it to sequence changes. I am then trying to tie those to my candles to alert me when there is a change in the moving average sequence. I am new to esignal, so I am having a little (lot) of trouble. Thanks for any help.

Comment

Coley
          Is the oscillator you are referring to a normal price oscillator ie the difference between fast and slow moving averages? If that is the case then use the MACD study where the MACD is your oscillator and the Signal is the average of the oscillator.
          Also what do you mean when you write "change in the moving average sequence"? That it changes direction? That the average crosses the oscillator?
          You may want to try using the Formula Wizard which makes it relatively easy to write studies such as this one.
          For information on how to use the Formula Wizard see the Formula Wizard Guide which also includes (at the end of the page) links to complete example on how to create studies on studies and alerts with the MACD.
          Give it a try and if you run into problems post what you have done and someone may be available to help
          Alex

Comment

Working...
          X