Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clarifications on 7.9.1 esfInternal

Hi Alex,

In the post where you explain the new functionalities of 7.9.1, you mention that we can use functions that return more than one value to create new series.

Your example uses "getSeries" for that.

Is is possible to use "getValue" instead?
    Do we have to create an additional series, like you show, or we can use as is and retireve values, as needed?

Example: Say we have a function which declares an MACD study in EFS1 and returns three values: MACD, Signal and Hist.
    Do we have to generate a series for each of them, or we can just look for what we need, when we need?

Thank you.
    Mihai
    Mihai Buta

Just as an aside, any getValue() call ALREADY has a generated, underlying Series.

getSeries() does NOT create a new Series object, but returns the already existing one.

Comment

Dion,

Thank you for clarifications.
      My question was how to retrieve historic values from one of the series generated with efsExternal [apparently, this feature is not available for efsInternal] to a function that returns an array of values.

Alex's example covers only if we retrieve the entire series for plotting [using getSeries].

Note: I got into more issues, buty I will start a new thread.

Thank you.
      Mihai
      Last edited by mbuta; 07-09-2005, 07:51 PM.
      Mihai Buta

Comment

Mihai
        FYI efsInternal() and efsExternal() have the same identical functionality.
        Once you have retrieved the specific series (not necessarily for plotting only) you can then retrieve the values from that series just as you would do for any series (builtin studies etc).
        Alex

Comment

Alex,

Thank you.
          Good news that it works with efsInternal as well, but I still don't know the syntax for doing it. Can you please provide an example, or point to a place where it is explained?

Again, we look for particular historical values in each of the returned series.

Thank you.
          Mihai
          Mihai Buta

Comment

Mihai
            An example is already provided in this post. After you have retrieved the individual series you can then access any historical value you want ie vMACD.getValue(-1), vSig.getValue(-3), etc just as you would with any other series (for example see the third element of the return array of main).
            Alex

Comment

Good to be able to communicate again.

Alex,

Just to make sure I understand: There are three steps to retrieve a value from a function that returns multiple values:
              1. Generate the series with efsInternal,
              2. Retrieve tha values with getSeries for each returned value,
              3. Retriev individual values [from already retireved series with getSeries] with getValue.

There is no way to avoid step 2?

Thank you.
              Mihai
              Mihai Buta

Comment

Mihai
                Not that I am aware of.
                Alex

Comment

Alex,

Thank you for clarification it is too bad.

I hopped that we can access directly the array generated [in step 1] by efsInternal. Maybe in a future release.

Mihai
                  Mihai Buta

Comment

Working...
                  X