Setting a flag to indicate being long or short

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting a flag to indicate being long or short

My EFS program indicates when to enter a market. I need to set a flag when that happens, so the program knows that the next test is to exit the market, not enter it.

I can't find a manual or instruction book for EFS on the eSignal site, there surely must be one.

JohnMBradford
    All the information available on EFS can be found in the EFS KnowledgeBase
    Alex

Comment

Thank you Alex, I'm sure it is, I just don't know how to begin to find it!

John

Comment

John
        Click on the link I provided in my prior reply and it will take you to the eSignal KnowledgeBase. Once there click on the EFS KnowledgeBase link in the left pane.
        I can't give you any specific guidance beyond this as it is not apparent from your message how familiar you are with programming in general and with EFS/JavaScript in particular.
        If you can provide further details as to what you are trying to accomplish someone may be able to assist you
        Alex

Comment

Alex, thank you, I did that, but I couldn't get it to produce anything that was relevant. Even if it had, I doubt that I'd have understood the answer.
          I've done lots of programming over many years, off and on, so I know what I want to do, but I know nothing about EFS or Javascript. Presumably there's a manual somewhere within the eSignal website? If there is, I can't find it.
          What I want to do - I've created an alert to tell me when to enter a market, let's say short in Dec gold. I did that with the EFS formula wizard. And it's said go short in gold because it's tested that the flag is set to zero, ie, no current open position. I can't set up the test successfully.
          I'm sure it's dead easy, and I've tried several possibilities from within the EFS editor, but I just get error messages when I add something like 'flag = 0' as an additional 'if' expression in function main, eg
          if (
          close() < vEMA15_of_Low.getValue(MAStudy.MA) &&
          close(-1) >= vEMA15_of_Low.getValue(MAStudy.MA, -1) &&
          vEMA15.getValue(MAStudy.MA) < vEMA15.getValue(MAStudy.MA, -1) &&
          flag = 0
          ) onAction1()

Regards, John

Comment

John
            If you have not already done so declare flag as a global variable (ie outside of function main()) and set it to an intial value of 0.
            Then in function onAction1() set flag to (for example) -1 when the condition that triggers that function returns true. At that point in the conditions to exit the short you check for flag to be equal to -1 and if true you reset flag to 0 in the corresponding function onAction().
            You may find some useful information on this subject in the Guide to Developing eSignal Strategies
            Alex

Comment

Thank you, you've clearly understood what I want to do. I know I need to do all that, my whole point is that I just don't know how to. For example, you say "check for flag to be equal to......". Well, haven't I done just that in the coding on my previous post, where I've said 'flag = 0'? That produces an error message when I do a syntax check.

Why is the coding I highlighted in bold wrong, and what should it be?

Comment

John
                The correct syntax should be && flag == 0)
                Alex

Comment

Thank you, it worked.

Where do I find that sort of information, please?

Comment

John
                    Search for operators in the EFS KnowledgeBase (see the link I provided earlier in this thread).
                    I would also suggest going through the EFS2 Function Reference available at the same link
                    Alex

Comment

OK, thank you. This is like pulling teeth.

I've looked at that, but it's all pretty baffling, why do eSignal insist that I re-invent the wheel, when presumably everyone can easily do what I want to do. Why can't someone just give me the code I need?

I haven't got time to learn Java within my month's free trial - I've got several other questions piling up behind this one. (for example, why do I only get an alert when the chart is on the screen, ie exactly when I don't need an alert)

Comment

It works! Thank you, I take back my previous exasperated comments.

Comment

Working...
                        X