Java in a Nutshell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Java in a Nutshell

I think I need to take the bull by the horns and learn Java. I've heard that Java in a Nutshell is a good reference, but I see variations of this at Walmart.com (Java Enterprise, Java Examples, Java Foundation Classes, .....all in a Nutshell).

For the purpose of learning EFS's (and also maybe IB's API), is Java in a Nutshell the best of the 'nutshell' versions? The latest edition is 5, but the 4th edition is dirt cheap on ebay. Are there enough recent changes to Java that Edition 5 should be bought?

Or maybe there is a much better reference?

Thanks
    El Cheapo

shaeffer
    EFS is based on Javascript which is not the same language as Java. See this article in the EFS KnowledgeBase on the differences between the two languages
    With regards to reference material on JavaScript I know that JasonK suggests JavaScript The Definitive Guide by David Flanagan 4th edition published by O'Reilly
    Alex

Comment

JavaScript for Dummies

Thanks for the reply Alex, you saved me from getting the wrong book.

After reading the link you suggested however, I decided I better start at the bottom. The local library just emailed to say my hold on "JavaScript for Dummies" is in.

I've been using efs's for well over a year now, primarily based on modifying existing efs's developed by others. I recently learned that although my efs's appear to work, my changes may be the reason my one year old 3GHz, HT, P4 computer with 2GB memory is stalling (e.g. Time & Sales just stops during fast markets, and is often erratic in slower times).

I'll read "JavaScript for Dummies" then decide if I should get the book Jason suggests as well.

Thanks Alex
      shaeffer

Comment

If you can hold off for a few more weeks, we have an all new online Javascript course in the works. We hired an outside Javascript professional to create a comprehensive A to Z course on learning JavaScript for newbies (and intermediate users ).

Should be ready later this month and we haven't yet determined what the cost will be.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X