• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving average with negative offset

I am using a moving average of

vMA5x = new MAStudy(5, -3, "Close", MAStudy.EXPONENTAL);
    vMA5 = vMA5x.getValue(MAStudy.MA);

The IF condition is something like this.

if (vMA5 > vMA8) && (vMA5 > vMA12)

I do a function etc. What I wanted to do was to see what the value is in vMA5 for purpose of validating my results. So I place a

debugPrintln("vMA5-3 : " +vMA5); just after doing my alert and placing a flag on the chart. the value that was return was

vMA5-3 : null

Not sure how that this can be a "null" value used in this IF condition and still be true result for the IF statment.

cantwait
    Without seeing the code it is not possible to determine what is happening within the efs.
    Post the script or a working sample of it that illustrates the problem and someone may be able to help
    Alex

Comment

Thank you for taking some time to read my question. Let me ask the question in a different way.

In JavaScript if something has a value of "null" in it which I understand to mean that null = nothing. So if you have a conditional statement where you compare "null" to say 1.7760, what should be the result of the condition. Is it a "true" or a "false" condition returned. My understanding is that null will alway return a false condition.

Comment

cantwait
        It should return false. Having said that the value of the average with negative offset will not be null on historical bars.
        Alex

Comment

Alex, Thank you for your quick reply, it is very much appreciated. My next question is, how does one go about getting the value from a negative MA offset at the close of the current bar. In reading up on the EFS it appears that I could use the REF() command to request a previous bar of -1, -2, -3 etc. Also, why have a negative offset for a MA in EFS if you can not get a valid return value. Thanks for you input on this.

cantwait

P.S. It does return a null for a MA5/-3 at the close of the current bar. I ran a test to verify it and a value for previous bars.

Comment

cantwait
            Using your own example from a prior message you would use
            vMA5x.getValue(MAStudy.MA,-3)
            in your conditions which will return the value of the average 3 bars back.
            As to your question I am not sure I understand what you are asking.
            Alex

Comment

Working...
            X