Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unexplained increase in CPU from EFS2 script.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unexplained increase in CPU from EFS2 script.

I would appreciate some help with this issue. The attached is a modification of the CustomMAofRSI.efs.

I am finding a tremendous increase in CPU time when I apply this efs. And in particular, on my TaskManager, I am noticing one particular Win2000 process which suddenly increases its CPU time.

I am running Windows 2000.

That process is called CSRSS.EXE. Its CPU time begins incrementing, the CPU performance usage spikes to 100%, and my Esignal responsiveness slows down noticeably. As soon as I remove this study, the CPU usage returns to reasonable levels.

I have several EFS2 studies what are using a different time frame, and many of them seem to cause this same problem.

Is there something in this study that causes this problem?

I would appreciate any help in making this more efficient, and eliminating this performance problem.
    Attached Files

Joe
    You may want to reduce the number of graphic objects that are drawn in the chart which can take up resources.
    A quick solution is to insert the following at the beginning of function main
    if(getCurrentBarIndex()<-nBarsBack) return;
    where nBarsBack is a number corresponding to how many bars back you want the graphics to be displayed.
    The more appropriate solution is to add a counter which resets to 0 once a certain number is reached and which you then use in the TagID parameter of each graphic object to limit how many are displayed
    Alex

Comment

Thanks for this tip. By reducing the number of lookback bars, it helps alot.

I am still seeing elevated CPUs on that CSRSS.EXE process, even with the reduced bar lookback. I understand CSRSS.EXE is an integral part of Windows. But what I don't understand is why it seems to spike when an EFS2 study on a different time frame is applied? Is this a typical result or is my system unique?

I realize you are there to help us with studies, and not to be a Windows guru. But if there is anyone there at Esignal who might be able to give me some insights on what is causing the CSRSS.EXE issue, I would be grateful.

In the meantime, I will use your suggestion. Again, thanks. Joe.

Comment

Joe
        When you call an external interval it is the same as if you opened a chart [albeit in the background] for that interval. If in the chart in which you are running the efs the Time Template is requesting a lot of data for the external interval that could cause an increment in the resources used as the efs has to download the necessary data and process the study on that data.
        Alex

Comment

This is a useful piece of information. I have gone in and reduced the data demand in the time template and it makes a big difference. Thanks very much.

Joe.

Comment

Working...
          X